Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1236
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:57 pm Post subject: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Already before finishing Battle of the Scheldt we were considering our options for a new mod.  After much deliberation we went for a mod about the war on  German soil because there are hardly any Close Combat mods that deal with this topic. Going through the various Allied operations after Market Garden and the German Wacht am Rhein offensive we decided that the most logical thing would be to choose the Rhineland offensive as our scope of interest and more specifically operations Veritable, Blockbuster and Grenade.

The area lies between the rivers Maas/Meuse, Rur and Rhine. After watching the German film “Krieg am Niederrhein” we realized that this territory was  heavily contested in adverse weather conditions. The result was total devastation of villages and cities. This aspect of the battle will be represented in the maps. You may expect to be fighting in a muddy landscape devasted by strategic bombing and scarred by German defence lines.
Given the size and shape of the area we decided that the CC TLD stratmap was what we needed so that this mod is created for TLD.
ETA: please ask again in 3 years or so ;-)

Cheers,

Buck_Compton, Pete

Additional Info:

From Wikipedia:

Operation Veritable and Blockbuster:
Operation Veritable was a Second World War pincer movement conducted by Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery's 21st Army Group to clear and occupy the land between the Rhine and Maas rivers. It took place between 8 February and 11 March 1945. It was a part of General Dwight Eisenhower's "broad front" strategy to occupy the west bank of the Rhine before attempting any crossing. Veritable was originally called Valediction and had been planned for execution in early January, 1945.
The operation had three primary complications. First, the heavily forested terrain, squeezed between the Rhine and Maas rivers, largely nullified Anglo-Canadian advantages in manpower and armour and the situation was exacerbated by soft ground of the glacial loam and deliberate flooding of the adjacent flood plains. In addition, this was the most heavily fortified section of the Siegfried Line.
Second, Operation Veritable was the northern phase of a double pincer movement. The proposed southern pincer, by the United States 9th Army, had been postponed when the Germans released the waters from the Roer dams. No military actions could occur until the water subsided.
The delay allowed German forces to be concentrated against the Anglo-Canadian advance. The local German commander, Alfred Schlemm, fortified Siegfried Line against the allied advance and he had fresh elite troops at his disposal to strengthen his defence. The fighting was hard, but the allied advance continued, albeit more costly and more slowly than expected. On 22 February, once clear of the Reichswald (German, Imperial Forest), the offensive was renewed under the name Blockbuster and linked up with the US 9th Army near Geldern on 4 March[3]. Fighting continued as the Germans sought to retain a bridgehead on the west bank of the Rhine and evacuate as many men and as much equipment as possible before they destroyed the bridges. Finally, on 10 March, the German withdrawal ended and the last bridges were destroyed.

Operation Grenade:
During World War II, Operation Grenade was the plan for the U.S. Ninth Army to cross the Roer (Rur) river in February 1945.
On February 9 the U.S. Ninth Army, under the command of Montgomery's British 21st Army Group since the Battle of the Bulge, was to cross the Roer and link up with the Canadian First Army coming from the Nijmegen area of the Netherlands in Operation Veritable, which had started at 05:00, February 8. However once the Canadians had advanced, the Germans destroyed the dams upstream. This stopped the Americans from crossing as planned. It had been anticipated that the Germans would try to do this, and that General Bradley's American 12th Army Group could capture them in time to stop the flooding.
During the two weeks that the river was flooded, Hitler would not allow Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt to withdraw behind the Rhine, arguing that it would only delay the inevitable fight. He ordered him to fight where his forces stood.
The Ninth Army was finally able to cross the river on February 23. By then other Allied forces were also close to the Rhine. Rundstedt's divisions, which had remained on the west bank of the Rhine, were cut to pieces in the Battle for the Rhineland, and 290,000 men were taken prisoner.

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, especially with the less explored parts of the war in WE.
Like the realistic ETA too...  Wink

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Gotta agree, sounds good!!!

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Awesome! Looking forward to both your new mods, Buck & Pete!  Very Happy

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

I want to play with a Locust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

So after a wide open fields mod
it's going to be a forest mod Very Happy
looking forward to play this in 3 years!

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):

Hey Schreck,

There aren't any airborne forces within these 3 operations ;)

Cheers Buck

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

How come nobody mentioned the Battle for Berlin mod has been created?

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
How come nobody mentioned the Battle for Berlin mod has been created?

We are talking on the western front Wink

Coenst

Rep: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):

After watching the German film “Krieg am Niederrhein” we realized that this territory also.........

Buck, do you still have this film, or do you know someone who has it?
I would really like to see it, because I'm interested in WWII material about the Niederrhein Area.
I know I could order it HERE,
but that would cost eur. 100,-, which is a bit too expensive for me.

btw, good luck with the mod.

Technical Support

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Hey Coenst,

I do have a low quality version of it. Do you happen to have software like Flashfxp to down/up load things from ftp servers?

Cheers Buck

Coenst

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Hey Coenst,

I do have a low quality version of it. Do you happen to have software like Flashfxp to down/up load things from ftp servers?

Cheers Buck

Nope, could you up it to RS maybe?
(I know, I could have written you a pm, but maybe there are some others who are interested).
Damn, while searching the web for this movie, I found out that they showed it last month only a few kmtrs. from where I live. Sad
(And you didn't even have to pay for it!).

Technical Support

VA44

Rep: 3.6

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:57 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

I'm interested in watching the film as well, especially after I've gotten hold of Ballantine Book's OP Veritable.

Finally a change in locale!

tedy28

Rep: 59.9

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:15 am Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v17502074AxmTkCzB

Coenst

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

tedy28 wrote (View Post):
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v17502074AxmTkCzB  

Thanks a lot Tedy, downloading now.

BTW, I found something else, many MAPS of the Rhineland & Market Garden area, incl. Operation Veritable.
I hope Buck has some use for it.

Technical Support

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Coenst wrote (View Post):
tedy28 wrote (View Post):

Thanks a lot Tedy, downloading now.

BTW, I found something else, many MAPS of the Rhineland & Market Garden area, incl. Operation Veritable.
I hope Buck has some use for it.

Sorry for replying this slow. Yes I had that link allready but thanks for the effort ;)

Cheers Buck

Coenst

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Howdy Buck, how's the progress?

Technical Support

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Hey Coenst,

None what so ever. We are very busy bringing Ortona to a good end :)

CHeers Buck

zon

Rep: 17.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):

Hey Schreck,

There aren't any airborne forces within these 3 operations ;)

Cheers Buck

Wasn't Blockbuster a British-Canadian show, with an airborne element named Varsity?

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: Mod Announcement Reply with quote

Hey zon,

The Locust was indeed a tank used by the airborne's. But there is no record of airbone's being involved in the Blockbuster Operation. The operation Blockbuster and operation Veritable where  operations with the goal of clearing the western bank of the Rhine River. Operation Varsity was part of the large scale Rhine Crossing operations.

So no there won't be locusts in this mod

Cheers Buck

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> Rhineland '45
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: