Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1236
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Author
CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
Especially because the bright side of hills is quite dificult to make.

This, and shadows, would be the main reason for employing a 3D technique.

Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:07 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Wasn't 3d rendering techniques used on the stock cc5 maps and vehicle's?? Well i still need to find a right way to put in the shadows... but thats just trial and error ;)

cheers

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Can we see what the strategic map and unit icons looks like?.

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hi
I hope you don't remove map completely

atleast keep em for single battle!
there is never too much maps!

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
Well i still need to find a right way to put in the shadows... but thats just trial and error Wink

It's a piece of cake; or at least it was when using Nomada_Firefox' Blitzkrieg II method:

All you had to do was orientate the map graphic (spin it round) until the sun was coming from the north west at a 45 degree angle.

It was the *other* problems that proved insurmountable.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:19 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hmm yes it would be but in order to get the shadows correct i would have to make the map in 3d.
3ds max allows me to rotate all object as much as i'd like...

cheers

_PT_

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):
Well, the new stratmap has received its final shape. Buck has put a lot of work in it and created a new stratmap in one weekend. It's me who is slowing down the progress of this mod Wink . There will be 40 maps on the stratmap. 3 Maps are new and created by Buck. We deleted 4 maps on the bottom half of PT's original stratmap because I felt it was historically unbalanced in the sense that the Allies would be able to win the GC without capturing the major target of the mainroad Orsogna-Ortona. Now it's about 50/50 and I will make sure when assigning VL's that capturing the road Orsogna-Ortona will tip the balance.

I am really glad that this is being worked on. Just some points of what I have intended with the mod:

All the major fighting should be in the city, thus a lot of maps that at the bottom half makng a bottleneck for Canadian advance. The main reson that Germans left when they did is that Orsogna-Ortona Highway was finally taken, so there should be a way to win the GC without getting to the Highway.

There should be only two or three passages maps in the middle gully area. Through San leonardo road, possibly Vino Ridge area and Costal road. If you make more passages it will not be historical.

All off roading by the tanks should be impossible. All the vineyards and mud was dertimental to any tank movement off road.

Small maps were intended to be quick and deady, especially in the bottom part between San Leonardo and the highway with a lot of armor destruction. Thus costal road was used by Canadians to penetrate to the city of Ortona. This is where real infantry combat happen.

Canadians should have some kind of explosive devices that would allow them to go through the walls so they are not exposed in the streets. Rubble should stop most of the city tank movement; they should be limited to couple of main streets.

My point of regret is that I did not keep the mod to the city limits with 24 maps like I originally wanted. Believe it or not that part was all complete in 2005. I actually played test GC and it all worked.

I wish you guys good luck and please finish it soon!
pt

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hey PT,

First we would like to thank you for giving us a chance of making this great mod project to a succes. We are currently busy overcomming the obstalce's on our road. I do have a question for you: Almost all your maps where finished when you send them to me. But about 20-25 maps weren't compeleted. Now as you know I have been busy doing all the interiors and I have taken the liberty of making 3 new maps for your mod. But when I started coding I found out that almost all maps didnt have Height maps along with them. And it is a rather difficult task to detect heights and depressions and to be able to tell wether one is higher than the other. I was wondering if you have any info on that part of the map coding for me...

Cheers Buck

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hey PT,

First we would like to thank you for giving us a chance of making this great mod project to a succes. We are currently busy overcomming the obstalce's on our road. I do have a question for you: Almost all your maps where finished when you send them to me. But about 20-25 maps weren't compeleted. Now as you know I have been busy doing all the interiors and I have taken the liberty of making 3 new maps for your mod. But when I started coding I found out that almost all maps didnt have Height maps along with them. And it is a rather difficult task to detect heights and depressions and to be able to tell wether one is higher than the other. I was wondering if you have any info on that part of the map coding for me...

Cheers Buck

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Time for an update:
We ran into trouble after changing the stratmap. A new version of the .exe would not work on my pc but cause ctd's as soon I was trying to get to the Command Screen. It worked on Buck's pc though. In fact , it would not run on any of my pc's but would run on some other people's pc's. As at the same time we had updated other files too we did not first understand which file was causing the problem. So we lost time searching for the bug and creating new files. Not until I created a new .exe myself did we find a solution. At that point I was close to throwing in the towel. The cause of the crashes remain unclear. During this miserable time we also managed to mix up data versions so that they had to be redone.
Anyway several weeks ago my dedicated CC pc went dead. That was another blow to my motivation I can tell you and that's when you start thinking that this mod is cursed. Luckily it was only the mobo and I was able to salvage the HDD's with their precious collection of data.
Because of these setbacks not much progress has been made (frankly also because I have been spending a lot more time on other interests). I am currently working on creating historical battles and operations, playtesting and finding errors.
I can assure you though that we will finalize this project this year!

Pete

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

salhexe

Rep: 70.1
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

strength and courage

Smile

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Thank you for the update guys!!! Definitely looking forward to the mod and hope that you are through the rough spot....

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Thanks for your efforts Pete / Buck / PT, many of us have worked on mods and realise the time and effort needed. Take a break if you need to and start again when the time is right, it will be better if you dont rush it. We waited years for the Scheldt mod and it was worth it. Cheers!

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Yes, just take your time to make a nice mod. Keep up the good work!

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Thanks for your support and patience guys . The road ahead looks smoother now   Wink

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

LostTemple

Rep: 59.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Yet another mod I'm looking forward to playing.  Maybe it's just me, but I really really like those darker maps Buck.  It gives it a darker and more ominous atmosphere.  I wish you would remake more of the maps to fit that atmosphere. Smile

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

keep up the good work gents and keep the faith. this will be a great mod once done. german para's and canucks!!! what could be better!!!  Very Happy

thank you!  Very Happy

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

Pete

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Well, just letting you know that we are still working on this  Wink   .  Progress is slow because we are prioritizing our other interests, so to speak.
Currently I am terribly annoyed that when creating custom battles I don't seem to be able to let battle groups enter on the victory location of choice, that is, the historically more accurate direction. How can I force a battle group to enter from a certain direction? Does anyone have a solution for this?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):
How can I force a battle group to enter from a certain direction? Does anyone have a solution for this?

Mod it for LSA   Shocked    Wink

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:19 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

For singles battles CC4/5 randomly selects an entry VL for a BG entering to allow for re-playability (though it does tend to select the closet VL to usual entry direction for BG's in the original game's GC).

LSA does allow for specific VL's to be set in the editor for single battles thus Southern_land's suggestion.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> CC5 Ortona 1943
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: