Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1232
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:01 am Post subject: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

They have never been in mods or rereleases for one simple reason. Its too hard to draw the 3D'ish sides of the vehicles and buildings. The ones we do see in the mods and rereleases are taken from the originals by Atomic.

There are a few advantages to having them.
- You can tell when a vehicle is on a slope and may be unable to fire back you
- You will notice your vehicle is on a steep angle without checking the status
- You can see the entry points on atleast one or two sides of a building
- Having these graphics is more visually appealing for both

The advantages of not having them.
- Mods and rereleases would theoretically be released faster

Should the next version of Close Combat from Matrix/S3T include the tilted graphics set?

Yes, why?
No, why?

tiltedtanks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.69 KB
 Viewed:  7443 Time(s)

tiltedtanks.jpg

sidebuildings.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  680.44 KB
 Viewed:  7443 Time(s)

sidebuildings.png

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Last edited by mooxe on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:13 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

I think you have more or less stated the case for both Defense and Prosecution.  Nice to have but a lot of extra work especially for vehicles...

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:05 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

I always think the tanks tended to look a bit 'wobbly'. I would prefer pure top down but with shadows changed on the vehicle as it moves and rotates rather like the shadows of the vehicle itself. The amount of extra work this creates though would probably not be worth the effort. The 3Dish sides of buildings is good on tall buildings but should be subtle. I imagine it makes for much harder artwork.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:26 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

My biggest bugbears with the angled building graphics are fourfold...

1. Far harder to produce unless you have a three d graphics package
2. The give a non-square foot print when the roof tile comes away
3. If they really "need" to be 3d then they ought tilt away below your line of sight which means you're going full 3d which isn't possible given the age of the CC engine (as far as i know anyway)
4. Far harder to rotate a building for inclusion into a map without producing a seperate render of the object

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:22 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

The 3d affect for tanks was good but as a mod maker I would never put in the effort. Probably best to wait till there is a real 3D engine (viewed top down) to create real 3D tanks and have dynamic shadows, etc. which all come with a real 3D engine....

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

AFAIK the vehicle graphics repacker like XTank disables the tilted graphics when repacking the files anyway...so original Atomic tank animation is not moddable.
Is there a modder tool than can reproduce the original tilting animations?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:00 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

RtB tool unpacks and repacks all 17 images.

But I agree with Tjszd, better to wait for a true 3D engine, but I guess if there was a cheap way to do it it would be awesome, be it by miniatures, other 3D games etc. When looking for those to try and do a vehicle of my own, I found out that they actually sell some 3D models of tanks alone, the cheaper ones where like 15$. Btw talking about 3D games, has anyone tried taking pictures of say, EYSA or CM vehicles? can their vehicles be pre-visualized like on an editor or something so as to not load the game and prntscrn?

Also, I wanted to say that I've regained a lot more respect for the guys who can actually mod the vehicles and all the graphics, having spent like 16hrs doing one and coming up with a tank that looks like a cardboard cut out haha, it looks funny but it will always have a special place in my heart as my first vehicle.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:18 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

RtBTool does everything! Thanks for the heads-up, Kanov!
You can take pics of vehicles from Faces Of War and Blitzkrieg (1&2) while in the world builder/editor.  Probably Company of Heroes too...but the problem with 3D models are the blurry textures...nowhere near the quality needed for CC...so manual panting is still a must.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:52 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote (View Post):
RtBTool does everything!

No kidding, kind of like the wonder tool, the swiss knife of CC.

I didn't notice 3D models were no good, So I guess maybe miniatures and drawings could be better?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:06 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

I think Atomic modelled the vehicles in 3ds Max and then extracted 2D imagest. Now this is a decade ago now. I think the only difficulty in doing this is learning how to use the right program. The art work would probably come easy to some people around here. The next step would be having a good technique to do it en masse.

GIJoe did it...

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=117

Waiting for a 3D engine... well thats not coming. The focus is on making these games better.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:02 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

One way of accelerating the process, it occurs to me that you would only need to do half the images then flip them horizontally to have the effect from the other side.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

nope - they are generally asymetrical
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:27 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
nope - they are generally asymetrical

You could do half the images tilted to one side, then flip them to the other side adjusting the graphic where needed to take into account things that are in one side but not in other, like AA guns or bow machine guns. You could do the tilted graphics with a simple hull drawing for example, and then add the details later, much better than drawing all of them I think.

Big tanks hurt the immersion IMO because you notice more how they seem to float instead of moving more naturally.

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

Quote:
Big tanks hurt the immersion IMO because you notice more how they seem to float instead of moving more naturally.

and they way they sometimes move in one direction and point in another.  But that's not a graphics but an engine issue...

-Jager-

Rep: 6.5

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

I just think it's far beter to make the maps as good as possible!
In a good map you just know when the Tank is in a sharp angle

Good moaning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAajssMn95w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QDz3c3Auw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA&feature=related

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

For houses the taller ones look better when they are 3D.

Load up and run CCIV 4.02 and choose the Axis and the Assenios map,when watching the Tanks on slopes it does not provide a very good illustration of being on a slope while Moving.Standing still it looks good.

For 1 the Shadow doesn't change enough (if any) to help provide the effect..
And 2 it just makes the Tank look cheesy as it goes from Long to Short when moving.

I campaigned for this for a long time and Mafi put that option in the RTBTool,but once I got to messing around with it I gave up.

When you look at the graphics Atomic created for the tilting tanks there is nothing there to consider it hard to do.
I see no need for a 3D program to recreate the effect.I think one could figure it out with a newer version of Photoshop and or maybe the use of the Transformation Tool.

I do not know if the Shadow has 17 different images on top of the rotating of the vehicles images (did that make sense?)
loading it up with Mafi's VehicleShadowEdit Tool I did not see it,but I have VERY limited experiance with that Tool.Better for me to say NONE really.

As for squadleaders comment that images from other games do not have the quality needed for CC I either don't understand what he's saying or disagree completely.
The LACK of quality images Atomic created with the 17 images for the Panther along with the too small of scale the original CCIV just doesnt provide a good enough experiance for the game.

All that said I do still NOT like the current hovering none tilting effect, no matter how nice the map is drawn or shadded to depict a hill the Tank never looks like it's going up/downhill.On say Elsenborn Ridge for example how many times have you seen your Tank wont shoot and you have to view the Soldier window to see the angle is too steep?

An even better example is the WAR map Recht.
At the top of the map by the meyerode VL the elevation is a staggering 49.5m,now cruise your tank all the way down the dirt road till you get to the Crossroads VL which has a elevation of 5.5m.
The current state of Tanks within WAR creates NOTHING to depict such a staggering change in elevation.And to be honest only a very few graphics on that map depicts it,the dirt road itself surly doesnt.It looks the same all the way down,even though the road drops drastically within say what 30-40meters?

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

As for squadleaders comment that images from other games do not have the quality needed for CC I either don't understand what he's saying or disagree completely.
The LACK of quality images Atomic created with the 17 images for the Panther along with the too small of scale the original CCIV just doesnt provide a good enough experiance for the game.

What I meant was if you take screenshots of the 3D vehicles from games like CoH, Faces of War or Blitzkrieg (preferably from the game map/world editor)...they won't be "ready to use" for CC Vehicles...the textures used for 3D vehicles tend to be blurry when the vehicles are extremely zoomed out like in CC.  Most new 3D RTS games feature close-up cams and not enough zoom-out distance...and the textures used reflect that.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:08 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

That I agree with.

Not even the Sprites depict elevation in CC.
When you look at the map Trois Ponts the rail road by the exit VL to LaGleize has great shading to depict that the tracks are down in a gully but the elevation change is only from 2.5m (top) to 1.5m (bottom)
I guess one could conclude that the Trees are providing all that shade down in the gully,but when you put your troops down in there the white camo suits stand out as if they aren't even in a gully.

The best that CC has to depict any type of depth is the 3D houses.And the shading of hills,unfortunately you don't see the shadow of the hill get dark enough to depict a steep change in elevation all the time or used in the right way.
And maybe when Tanks go under Trees does depict some depth.

UO0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  631.03 KB
 Viewed:  7457 Time(s)

UO0002.jpg

UO0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  630.82 KB
 Viewed:  7457 Time(s)

UO0001.jpg

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

southern_land wrote (View Post):
Far harder to produce unless you have a three d graphics package

Which 3D graphics package could fulfill the task?

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Tilted/Angled Graphics Reply with quote

lightwave for sure, probably others too

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: