Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1247
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Hmmm here's another question

It's the 18th at 1500 and 2 MUCH needed airbourne BG's have finally arrived west of Arnhem. The C-47's must have been running on 1 engine only  Crying or Very sad

Anyway... 4th para is at Ginkel Heath and  11th Bn is at Renkum Heath. All good except they CAN'T MOVE !  Is this a "feature" of a para BG to NOT move the turn it lands or a bug. I read the manual but cant see anything.

Otherwise the GC goes well. XXX corps is up to St Oedenrode.  The 82 Ab is holding well in Nijmegen although 1 / 508 is still isolated on the bridge. I have the 2 German supply depots south of Nijmegen strongly held so the other paras can move north and relieve the brdge. Grave, Uden and Veghel are mine so XXX Corps has a clear run!

Only hiccup now is St Oedenrode. The Germans blew the bridge first turn  Evil or Very Mad   It has a spanner symbol so I "believe" it is being repaired. The manual says "Allied engineers will start to repair the bridge" but it doesnt say if any allied bg will do it. I played SSG Battlefront Market Garden campaign and only certain units could repair a bridge. It seems in LSA any unit can repair a bridge, it just takes time.

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Nijmegen Bridge again - 508 PIR vs KG Fuestenberg

This was perhaps the most enjoyable battle I've had in CC since CC4 Vet BoB.

The 508 has only 4 units left, 1 rifle, 1 30 cal MG, 1 sniper, and 1 Bazooka.

Unfortunately due to the stuffed up control area from last turn I couldn't tell where the enemy would attack (this is good, part of the game) last turn they attacked the town in the parks south of the bridge so I set up 3 units there, and left the weakest unit - the zook in a house north of the bridge - this is where the fun starts!

The Germans have put all 4 of their units in the field north of the bridge!!!  I have LOS from my 3 teams to the south, but their fire is inefective. SOOOOO, I have to hold off 4 teams with a 2 man zook squad -  2 Garrands and only 40 rounds each and 20 minutes to go!.

They begin to mill around then advance so I fire to make them take cover, then ambush straight away. Basically  this was repeated for 20 minutes while I tried to get my other teams to support or move onto the bridge. But the zook team held and ended up kiling a mg34 team, driving off a ersatz team, killing a Zug leader and halting a Grenadier team. The Germans gave covering fire, tried to flank to the left, used smoke but couldnt get through.

I've said before the lack of full supply and the small BG's make the men more valuable, this battle highlighted this further. I had to strictly limit the shots, then hide. Shoot a burst at another team then hide. - for 20 minutes! What a blast!. The zook team took the bridge map in a TOTAL VICTORY with zero casualties. Whoo Hooo

Nijmigen5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  398.92 KB
 Viewed:  8012 Time(s)

Nijmigen5.jpg

Nijmigen6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.02 KB
 Viewed:  8012 Time(s)

Nijmigen6.jpg

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:35 am Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Sounding good, thank you for the AAR posts!

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

After a few days off I'm sick of hearing about the election and Bob F'n Katter and whether Fevola did show his cock to that woman or not so I'll play a few games of LSA. This is how I ususally play a GC, and why I'm no good at H2H GC's. I tend to play 2-3 battles every second night. I dont play for hours straight and complete many turns, just a few sups from the CC cup...

Anyway, Arnhem bridge is reinforced and held tightly. The XXX Corps has broken out and is tearing ass north. Funny enough Nijmigen bridge is the hardest map of all to hold in this GC. Just like real life I had to hold the LZ's to the south. I ended up moving one unit to the bridge, capturing it easily then I have to hold it for many turns with a out of supply BG.

This turn KG Brinkman/10 SS has taken over from the broken Fuestenberg. The 1st/508 PIR is still only 4 units, 30 cal, bazooka, sniper, and a rifle squad. I thought the enemy would go for the houses north of the bridge then the bridge itself, kinda true. They sent 1 arm car right down the bridge, my 30 cal peppered it all the way but 750 rounds did NO damage  Crying or Very sad

2 Ersatz SS and a Zug squad attacked the houses but the sniper dealt with them. I find a well placed sniper is GOLD in the game! A few shots into a moving unit and they turn tail and hide! Better than mortars for suppression. This is where the AI breaks down..... the armoured cars kept coming without their infantry, like stock CC5, my zook hidden behind the tractor got him with 1 shot   Cool  which forced a truce. Another great white knuckle battle in Nijmigen! I lost the road bridge which I fought sooooo hard for , but I keep the rail bridge and the British tanks are in the Nijmigen suburbs, so relief is coming  Smile

I understand that my 508 is out of supply, but surely there should be SOME points!. I am barely holding the map with only 4 units. Realistically, the entire battallion should be here, at least SOME of them! There should be a few points to use each turn, to replace casualties. I know that CC5 was too much, 15 teams every battle, but LSA never has 15 teams, even when 2 BG's share a map!

Nijmigen7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373 KB
 Viewed:  7963 Time(s)

Nijmigen7.jpg

Nijmigen8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.08 KB
 Viewed:  7963 Time(s)

Nijmigen8.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

South Oosterbeek - KG HELLE vs 1st PARA BDE

A new encounter with German off board artillery wreaks havok with the troopers! I was easilly winning , then lost a rare HQ, Bren and PIAT team to the barrage. The Dutch SS sounds good when they're dying Twisted Evil

South Oosterbeek1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  442.14 KB
 Viewed:  7928 Time(s)

South Oosterbeek1.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

North Arnhem - KG EULING vs 2nd PARA Bde - Frosts boys

This has been a tough withdrawing battle for a few turns now. I dont remember how Frost got here but he is fighting a losing defensive battle ever since. Luckilly this turn he has 42 points to burn! - whoooo hoooo.
The stupid AI buys a sniper of course, I return it to the FP and get 2 PARA Bren groups and 2 PARA rifle groups. I skip the airlanding groups as they are inferior troops. For example, PARA Bren = 1Sten, 1 Bren, 2 Enfields and a bonus 2" mortar,  the airlanding group is 1 Bren and 2 Enfields - BOGUS.
I'd love a flamethrower but at 43 pts I can get 4 teams and they are just too fragile.

The enemy suffers from changing BG's, look at their deployment! I keep 1 rifle squad guarding the bridge exit VL and use the others to defend the hotel. Interestingly, the Bren groups dont have a 2" mortar in the battle, why? I'm sure in another battle I laid smoke using a Bren group and it was an orange LOS line, indicating indirect fire, but not here.

North Arnhem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.39 KB
 Viewed:  7893 Time(s)

North Arnhem.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Movement turn - 19th Sept 0000. I try to rest as many BG's as possible hoping to get some points. The armour still has to move though.
I started CC when CC5 came out so the REST function is still a mystery to me, we'll see how it goes.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

The Bren groups use their 2" mortar for smoke only, just as they did in reality; -But I guess they must be in open ground, or something like that, to use them (Have never tried to fire smoke from a building, but it works nicely when they are outside.)  Cool

And as usual, I find some of the teams in 'vanilla CC' strange; -Just like the example you gave for the different Bren groups.  Wink

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Who said snipers were no good? I fing the US AB sniper a good unit in this mod....

Also a df (dumb Fu*k) question - what's a German LW unit?  FJ=Fallshirmjager, SS=SS but what is LW?

Sniper1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.35 KB
 Viewed:  7868 Time(s)

Sniper1.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Now things are getting interesting....

They have attacked the map from the east while still holding their small area to the west so I'm caught in the middle and have to split my forces, this is new in LSA, it didnt exist in CC5 or before. This is what we've been asking for years, it's still a bit buggy - like all things CC especially the players  Razz , but it's a big move forward.

I suspect the main attack will come from the east so I put 2 rifles and the sniper to cover the west, the rest to the east, especially my favorite defender, the Vickers mg.

The attack came agressively from both sides - my sniper was down to 2 rounds when the grenadier group surrendered LOL  I always thought the AI cheated, but if they knew I only had 2 bullets left would they surrender?

South Oosterbeek2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.08 KB
 Viewed:  7864 Time(s)

South Oosterbeek2.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Renkum Heath 11th Bn 4th Para

Here's a minor bug, the Bren group reports no ammo, but still has 392 rounds !!?

Renkum Heath1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  329.17 KB
 Viewed:  7236 Time(s)

Renkum Heath1.jpg

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):

Also a df (dumb Fu*k) question - what's a German LW unit?  FJ=Fallshirmjager, SS=SS but what is LW?

Luftwaffe Field Division or Feld Division (Lw).
Some pics and info here.

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 am Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Hi soldiers,
I know it's been a while between battles, but I had some leave due so luckilly Monty negotiated a 4 week truce with the Germans so I could drive to Maroochydore (Google it) with the family to visit Mum and Dad. Hardly a rest though, as fighting the SS 10 Division is easier than having a wife and 3 kids in a Commodore wagon for 3 weeks  Embarassed  I felt like Clarke Griswald a few times, but, I got some artillery pictures on the way (another thread) so it was not all in vain.......

Anyway, WW2 was 6 years but CC war goes on forever so back to the battles  :D

Nijmigen Bridge - this ongoing battle is the Baugnez of LSA - CC4 players will understand this. Baugnez is the map you play on EVERY F***ing turn whether you want to or not.

I applied the patch but did NOT restart the GC as I cant be bothered. I havent seen anything strange yet... My 82nd AB troops have fought over, died over and lost and regained this map for days now, and I am determined to get this map for good.

1st Bn 505 PIR vs KG Brinkmann 10 SS

I tried to rush an attack on the VL but lost a rifle team to the Arma cars, fortunately I have mortar and arty barrage which take out 4 soldiers and 1 Arm car, leading to morale loss  Very Happy and total victory - finally.

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Damn Bridges Reply with quote

Arnhem Bridge - the 1st Airlanding are MUCH stronger than the Para's they replaced. vs 280 Stug Bde

The Germans have brought in the heavies, a StugIIIg and a Stuh 42. I have only PIAT which are generally useless, but I manage to get the Stug with a side shot  Very Happy and the le MG42 with the OB mortar, then the Stuh 42 with a PIAT shot from 60 metres! Rare to have PIATs actually get hits, let alone kills  Very Happy

Arnhem2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.35 KB
 Viewed:  7187 Time(s)

Arnhem2.jpg

Arnhem1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  437.26 KB

Arnhem1.jpg

Arnhem1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  437.26 KB

Arnhem1.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: