Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1239
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to change Pegasus and Merville maps to have random drop zones similar to the U.S. Airborne maps.

Instructions please?

I know that may cause the Airborne to land in the Bunkers at Merville and away from the Glider graphics at Pegasus, but I think it would add more to game play ... especially since those static drop zones are so open.
Maybe if there were no VL's at the bunkers ... the AB would never land there?

Thanks
David

Priapus

Rep: 18.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Yeah, random drops on those maps would be great. If the drops are too unrealistic reloading the map isn't too difficult.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:15 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Priapus wrote (View Post):
Yeah, random drops on those maps would be great. If the drops are too unrealistic reloading the map isn't too difficult.

Good idea, just restart the battle if the drop is too unrealistic.

I've looked through some files, but can't find where too edit this ... hmmm ... maybe mafi knows.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:42 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

From a line on the Campaign.txt:

"# Allied parachute drop days (0 or 1) AB BGs arriving on maps with no off-map exit get random setup area(s)"

I don't know what off-map exit means but those maps have it. I'm guessing is one of those 'From X' road VL that goes outside the limits of the strategic map.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:27 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
From a line on the Campaign.txt:

"# Allied parachute drop days (0 or 1) AB BGs arriving on maps with no off-map exit get random setup area(s)"

I don't know what off-map exit means but those maps have it. I'm guessing is one of those 'From X' road VL that goes outside the limits of the strategic map.

Thanks ... I'll give it a try

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

try this

Backup your /maps/INPegBdg.btd file first

download and unzip tp \maps

I've just changed the -3 allied entry VL to -1

INPegBdg.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  INPegBdg.zip
 Filesize:  523 Bytes
 Downloaded:  257 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
try this

Backup your /maps/INPegBdg.btd file first

download and unzip tp \maps

I've just changed the -3 allied entry VL to -1

Thanks,
I was just monkeying around with mafi's BTD editor and had done the same thing with Pegasus and Merville.
I goofed up somewhere and now need to do a re-install I think ... cause when I go to GC and try and see the next day, the game gets an error.
Do you think those maps require Allied or German Entries (-3,-4) ... cause they are ammo dumps?
I moved a few of the VL's out to 3 squares away too, and it made the deployment zone bigger, I think. Was messing with changing the landing ones to 50 ... and then 100 (non exit) ... and it seemed to make a difference of where they would land.

It would be good to have these random, but I hope it doesn't goof up any strat stuff.

Thanks again

David

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Hi schrecken,
I did a re-install and tested with your file.
It all seems to work fine in the Strat interface ... selecting different days, to see when re-enforcements arrive. No error or crash.
Thanks

I was concerned about having no Entry VL's (-3,-4) (on those maps) may cause a change in re-enforcements arriving ... but I've tested that and it's still the same.

1. I'm guessing the Entry VL's (-3,-4) are used strictly to force a BG to arrive at a designated Entry VL ... at the beginning of the game (first time on the map), and when a BG is recycled back into service at that map. Is this true?

2. Do any BG's recycle back to Pegasus or Merville?

3. I wonder if changing all the German Entry VL's to (-1) would make recycled BG's arrive at random VL's (on their side of the map)? This would add a little more variety when recycled German BG's arrive back, and immediately face a contested map.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Amfreville:

-changed the Axis Entry VL from "-4" to "-1".
-moved "North Road" VL closer to right edge of map
-moved "To La Fiere" VL 3 squares from bottom and right

Results:
Random drop zones ... happening so far at the North Road VL and at the To La Fiere VL
The To La Fiere VL now has a larger deployment zone (when AB dropped there)

I think Entry/Exit VL's to other maps have to be within 3 squares of the map edge, but moving it inwards to 3 ... increases the deployment size.

will have to test all this to make sure it doesn't have any side effects  Smile

Last edited by davidssfx on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Allied Beach deployment:

-change Allied Entry VL to "-1"
-Add two more "-1" VL along the length of beach

Results:
Random landing sites for Allied BG coming ashore.

I didn't see any deployment further inland.

1. Do you think initial Allied deployments (first time at map) will always happen at the far right on the map?

If this works without causing any side effects ... it will add a lot to replay value.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Having random beach deployment is ideal, but unfortunately I'm getting an error which requires a full re-install to correct.

So I'm going to drop the random Para drops and random beach landings for now ...

Priapus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:42 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Shame to hear that David. Would it be possible to give the allies the whole of the coast for their initial deployment VLs? Maybe this would require pulling back the beach VLs to the waters edge. Doing this not only makes the landing craft portrayed along the whole of the coast make sense, but would make things a little easier for the allied player.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:26 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Shame to hear that David. Would it be possible to give the allies the whole of the coast for their initial deployment VLs? Maybe this would require pulling back the beach VLs to the waters edge. Doing this not only makes the landing craft portrayed along the whole of the coast make sense, but would make things a little easier for the allied player.

There is nothing else I can do about the Beach landings ... I'm messing with something that causes big error problems. For now it will have to stay as is ... but, read next post.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:40 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

I did some more testing with Ground Tactics 1.4 ... just the Para drop sites.
It seems to work well now, with no strat problems. Has some real interesting drops at Merville and Pegasus. Works at Amfreville too.

The only rule I'd make before playing is:
Pegasus Bridge and the Merville Battery bunker complex need to be in German control. If Allied para deploy there ... then go back and restart the battle. Everything else is a go.

If you want to test this ... download this attached file.
1. Unzip it
2. Place the unzipped "MAPS" folder in your "C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat The Longest Day\GroundTactics" folder.
3. note: this is for Ground Tactics 1.4 mod

Play "Objective Caen" or "The Longest Day" GC found in the "Campaign" tab

Please let me know of any errors or problems. If it works ... it will be included in the next release.

Thanks
David

Also note:
1. Both players need to have this "MAPS" folder installed to test H2H, or both need to have it removed in order to be compatible with each other.
2. This is a work in progress ... use at your own risk  Smile

MAPS.zip
 Description:
random para drops

Download
 Filename:  MAPS.zip
 Filesize:  1.78 KB
 Downloaded:  236 Time(s)

graves101

Rep: 8.3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:07 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Oh my god, Merville and Pegasus make me want to ramrod my face through the computer screen! If the Germans utilize the maps accordingly, MGs and 20mm Flak can make being a British paratrooper a worse proposition than a dragoon of the Light Brigade. After the 4 times we replayed the scenarios, it became very apparent the British will be fired on, by the very least, from two different directions, and most likely at the front and both flanks.

Merville is harsh because those damn 20mm can either be positioned in the network of bunkers, fully capable of firing right on the paras deployment zone, or they can be deployed in the buildings to the south-east and able to crisscross fire along the paras route to the Pegasus exit, or they can be deployed on the hill at the north-west, firing on the areas behind the hedgerow facing the village, and thus complete the total coverage of any and all potential routes of advance for the Brits. When inside a building or bunker, engaging or resisting the flak was a ludicrous proposition, small-arms fire would do nothing (and even suppression had minimal effect), only a naval barrage or air-strike would have the chance to knock them out, if luck was on your side, and bunkers made that even less possible. Since it seems naval will no longer be allowed inland (I'm not sure what's the prognosis on that. Is Merville even considered inland? It's on the coast, but not a beach map.) So all faith is on a lucky air-strike that's not a strafing run with two measly 50kg bombs. If the flak was placed on the hill, the only saving grace was mortaring the thing to death. Since the mortars are being recoded to be less damaging to ATGs, and mostly causing suppression instead, it will now be even harder to progress on this map. MGs have a field day with extremely advantageous positions with long, long fields of fire and really good protection. That being said, yes, the Germans field only a small restricted BG, compared to the fully loaded British, but it's clear anything more would make the British's chances of success nonexistent - they would be pinned on this map until supplies run out and they are slowly chipped away to nothing.

Pegasus isn't as bad, there's only one hurdle that needs to be crossed, then the rest of the fighting is much more practical. The paras are deployed to the west on the center "island" of the map, with the Germans fully-sighted onto the deploy from the buildings to the north, across Pegasus Bridge, the building before Pegasus to the north-west (Poor Sod's House  Rolling Eyes ), the batch of trees across the river to the west, and south across the other bridge. It's another situation where Germans are shooting at you from multiple angles instantly. Thank god they don't have 20mm here, I would suck my thumb and just cry myself to sleep. Sneaking to the river will still get you spotted, even at night, so you'll just have to be used to paras getting picked off before you can even see the first Germans, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it, smoke will only disrupt their accuracy to a degree, they still seem capable of hitting vulnerable Brits trying to cross the river with no cover, whatsoever. Then there could be Germans with lines of trenches in the cluster of trees further on, making all your troops completely visible to the MGs on the left flank, now you need to smoke both the MGs in the north and the German trenches to the front, then while simultaneously suppressing the trenches, charge some paras at them head-on (no flanking maneuvers here, you've got no room to maneuver) and pray that, while the trenches are hopefully suppressed enough, the second line of Germans in the hedgerows behind the trenches doesn't mow down your assault before it even reaches the trenches. This is virtually the spiritual successor of The Charge of the Light Brigade implemented in TLD.

So do I endorse random para deployments for these maps? OH DEAR GOD JESUS, YES! YES! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

But, weren't the troops attacking Pegasus glider-borne, anyways? I would think they should just deploy where the gliders land, as visible on the map.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:14 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

I like the way merville plays
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

graves101 wrote (View Post):

But, weren't the troops attacking Pegasus glider-borne, anyways? I would think they should just deploy where the gliders land, as visible on the map.

Thanks for your comments.
I think I'll do as you suggest ... and just leave Pegasus stock. They have a large Deployment zone, and the glider graphics do make it necessary to keep the AB close to the gilders.

Merville and Amfreville are going to be random drops ... much better for replay value.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Random beach landings is now working.
Landings occur in one deployment zone, but the location can vary among two or three sites ... depending on the length of the beach.
This variation in deployment locations opens/closes different firing lines, and well as prompting different AI deployment.

The only problem is:
you can't click the days forward button until the beginning of Day 7 (or until all the beach landings have taken place).
If you do click ahead to view the next arriving BG's ... then the game will not respond, and you will have to uninstall and then reinstall.
I believe this error is caused by the start map not knowing exactly where the Allied Beach BG's are going to land.

Once you get to the beginning of Day 7 (after all the first time beach landings have taken place) ... then you can click ahead/back all you want.

Priapus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

There's another glider graphic on pegasus to the east. Perhaps allowing deployment there would be advisable. This would seriously disrupt the Germans defensive plans and give the Brits a shot at taking the map on the first day.

Merville is hell. Now that mortars are to have a realistically reduced gun killing capability, I imagine I can keep ole Gravy locked up there indefinitely.

davidssfx wrote (View Post):
The only problem is:
you can't click the days forward button until the beginning of Day 7 (or until all the beach landings have taken place).
If you do click ahead to view the next arriving BG's ... then the game will not respond, and you will have to uninstall and then reinstall.
I believe this error is caused by the start map not knowing exactly where the Allied Beach BG's are going to land.

Once you get to the beginning of Day 7 (after all the first time beach landings have taken place) ... then you can click ahead/back all you want.

I assume you mean turn 7? Does the crash also occur with the German player?

Me and Gravy occasionally experienced crashes when he used airstrikes. If he refrained from using the airstrike for the duration of the map all was well, but it did reduce his assault strength. Is this a stock TLD bug or something GT introduced?

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

There's another glider graphic on pegasus to the east. Perhaps allowing deployment there would be advisable. This would seriously disrupt the Germans defensive plans and give the Brits a shot at taking the map on the first day.

Merville is hell. Now that mortars are to have a realistically reduced gun killing capability, I imagine I can keep ole Gravy locked up there indefinitely.

davidssfx wrote (View Post):
The only problem is:

I assume you mean turn 7? Does the crash also occur with the German player?

Me and Gravy occasionally experienced crashes when he used airstrikes. If he refrained from using the airstrike for the duration of the map all was well, but it did reduce his assault strength. Is this a stock TLD bug or something GT introduced?

Hi,
Thanks for the comments

1. The other glider graphic on pegasus to the east is now the fixed deployment zone. That's a good idea ... and will at least add a little variation from the original game.

2. At the beginning of a Campaign ... a player starts at the Strategic interface screen. Within that screen is an option labeled "Select Date". if you click the arrow of that option to "7" (June 7 1944) then the game will crash.
It will happen if you are playing either side versus the AI, or if either player does it in H2H.

All the beach landings have to be done before this option ("Select Date") can be used.
If you wait until the "Select Date" option displays a number "7" or higher ... then you can use the option without any crash.
I think it's worth not using that option for the first turn ... in order to have random beach landings

3. Air strike crashes were fixed in 09b ... so if you are using the .09b patch along with GT 1.4, then you shouldn't get any Air strike crashes.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: