Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1240
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

OK, here's the trick to scavenging, once a well kept secret but I guess it doesn't matter now, and we all should get to know the intricacies of this fine game.

A soldier will scavenge when:

1.- He's near a dead body
2.- Said dead body had a weapon on his hands when he died, and this weapon had ammo.
3.- He is low on ammo on his primary/crewed weapon.
4.- And doesn't have another weapon left, including PzFausts, explosive charges, molotovs etc.
5.- His secondary weapon is on its last magazine or less if its a multiple shot per magazine weapon (other firearm).
6.- They pick up ammo of the same type of weapon they are carrying, provided that they are low on ammo but have more than a magazine left, otherwise if they are on their last magazine, they will pick another weapon

That's why soldiers that are out of ammo but left over dead bodies sometimes don't pick up anything, it's because they have other weapon there, the culprits are mostly close range AT weapons that never get to be used.

They do Pick up ammo, try with similar teams, say a recon team, deplete the ammo of one of them (not necessary to expend all of it) and send the other to die around there, the healthy team will pick up ammo if the criteria above is met. Write the number of rounds if you want.

Crewed weapons are kind of a wildcard, they can be passed around within a team not mattering any of the above (cc3 to cctld). For them to be picked up from the dead it can happen but it is very rare, I think personal weapons have priority.

Don't know if there's a limit to scavenging, some say they are limited to 3 scavenged guns (scavenge one waste its ammo, scavenge other etc).

Would be cool to scavenge Panzerfausts and other useful AT weapons, as it is now it is almost impossible because they are mostly single shot weapons and is very hard that a coincidence of killing a soldier while he is carrying a panzerfaust BUT with out him firing it is accomplished.

Last edited by Pzt_Kanov on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
OK, here's the trick to scavenging, once a well kept secret but I guess it doesn't matter now, and we all should get to know the intricacies of this fine game.

A soldier will scavenge when:

1.- He's near a dead body
2.- Said dead body had a weapon on his hands when he died, and this weapon had ammo.
3.- He is low on ammo on his primary/crewed weapon.
4.- And doesn't have another weapon left, including PzFausts, explosive charges, molotovs etc.
5.- His secondary weapon is on its last magazine or less if its a multiple shot per magazine weapon (other firearm).
6.- They pick up ammo of the same type of weapon they are carrying, provided that they are low on ammo but have more than a magazine left.

That's why soldiers that are out of ammo but left over dead bodies sometimes don't pick up anything, it's because they have other weapon there, they are mostly close range AT weapons that never get to be used.

They do Pick up ammo, try with similar teams, say a recon team, deplete the ammo of one of them (not necessary to expend all of it) and send the other to die around there, the healthy team will pick up ammo if the criteria above is met. Write the number of rounds if you want.

Crewed weapons are kind of a wildcard, they can be passed around within a team not mattering any of the above (cc3 to cctld). For them to be picked up from the dead I think personal weapons have priority, it can happen but it is very rare.

Don't know if there's a limit to scavenging, some say they are limited to 3 scavenged guns (scavenge one waste its ammo, scavenge other etc).

Thanks for the detailed intel, Pzt_Kanov! Nicely done!
I still think that for similar/identical weapons...the way the engine handles it...scavenging soldiers actually pick up identical weapon (incl. ammo and clips)...of course in the game stats you get the same results as picking up ammo and clips.
So either way, the way the aging CC4/CC5 engine handles scavenging is still pretty amazing.

Quote:

Would be cool to scavenge Panzerfausts and other useful AT weapons, as it is now it is almost impossible because they are mostly single shot weapons and is very hard that a coincidence of killing a soldier while he is carrying a panzerfaust BUT with out him firing it is accomplished.

It is possible...while playtesting Battle of Surabaya (status=on hold)...I've seen out of ammo Gurkha riflemen pick up Japanese Lunge Mines from dead Indonesian soldiers.
At first I didn't notice that they had run out of ammo...and sent them forward to take a VL...when they got there I was puzzled that the Gurkhas now carried "tridents" instead of rifles  Wink

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
It is possible...while playtesting Battle of Surabaya (status=on hold)...I've seen out of ammo Gurkha riflemen pick up Japanese Lunge Mines from dead Indonesian soldiers.
At first I didn't notice that they had run out of ammo...and sent them forward to take a VL...when they got there I was puzzled that the Gurkhas now carried "tridents" instead of rifles

Did you made those soldiers carry those weapons only? I suppose if a soldier was carrying a pzfaust only and it gets killed you could potentially pick it up fairly commonly.

I still believe soldiers do pick up ammo from same weapon, will need some tests.

And yeah I agree, scavenging is amazing, and for me is one of the pinnacles of the CC code.

Dauphin

Rep: 12.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:27 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

A sniper with no more bullets change his weapon to use diiferent ammo

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Yeah, well, there aren't many scoped rifles available to scavenge in close combat battlefields, it is normal that they scavenge other weapons. But you're right it would be easier to test scavenging with snipers.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Proof of ammo scavenging:

Set up a little custom battle in CC3, 60% ammo for both sides. Got one sniper to scavenge ammo from other dead sniper.

UO0002.jpg
 Description:
Lehmann has 56 rounds starting the battle.
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Viewed:  18710 Time(s)

UO0002.jpg

UO0003.jpg
 Description:
Ossmann has 32 rounds starting the battle.
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg
 Description:
Lehmann Killed
 Filesize:  1.14 MB

UO0004.jpg

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Cont.

UO0005.jpg
 Description:
Ossmann running to dead sniper, still has 32 rounds.
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  18701 Time(s)

UO0005.jpg

UO0006.jpg
 Description:
Ossmann with 80 Rounds
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  18701 Time(s)

UO0006.jpg

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

nice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Very nice demonstration, Pzt_Kanov! I'm sold!
So if soldiers do scavenge ammo...the original devs should have implemented ammo sharing between squad members  Idea

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

When I think on the number of times I've called a halt because I thought I was low on ammo ....

Embarassed

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 am Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken crewed weapons can normally only be picked up by a similar crew who are out of ammo. Ammo sharing would be good to implement. Infantry men in sections often carry ammo for the automatic weapon, or mortar rounds for the light mortar etc. Section commanders are tasked to ensure that those low on ammo are topped up by others.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:20 am Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
If I am not mistaken crewed weapons can normally only be picked up by a similar crew who are out of ammo. Ammo sharing would be good to implement. Infantry men in sections often carry ammo for the automatic weapon, or mortar rounds for the light mortar etc. Section commanders are tasked to ensure that those low on ammo are topped up by others.

Depends what type of crewed weapons then. I have never seen a mortar scavenged. I have seen a Panzershrek team pick up a Schweres MG42 though, this was CC5.

Anyone want to see if they can get a non-mortar team to pick up a mortar?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

I think I have picked up rounds from a dead mortar crew by a mortar crew, but that may be my fuzzy memory and over active imagination speaking.

CSO_Talorgan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
Infantry men in sections often carry ammo for the automatic weapon, or mortar rounds for the light mortar etc.

Doesn't the game do this, after a fashion, by having enough men in a team to carry the load, even though the actual weight is carried by one man (which is why these teams string out so easily)?

QM

Rep: 49.4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 am Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

Murphy was colocated with a command group.  Command group got wiped out, old Murph was outa rounds so scrounged a Sten.  Very demeaning for a sniper let me tell you!!

Btw.  He won the day for the team.

Murphy!!.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.48 KB
 Viewed:  18485 Time(s)

Murphy!!.JPG

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 am Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

hmmm.. sten set on single shot... 180metres... right between the eyes.

Did he keep the sten for the next battle?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

QM

Rep: 49.4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

No.  Looks like he picked up his own gat after the regroup.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

I was playing TRSM with Pzt_Serk the other day. One of my shermans was knocked out, and the veh crew fled to the building adjacent to the wreck. They are not able to recieve orders in TRSM. While fighting in the chateau my regular infantry were all killed, and Serk made his way towards my tank crew. They stood fast for awhile inflicting casualties in hand to hand and very close quater combat. The last two survivors scavenged a thompson, and an MG42! Sadly, they died soon after. They were not in a good spot to use the MG42 effective but ciyld have inflicted kills if Serk came in the right direction.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

CSO_Talorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Scavenging. Reply with quote

QM wrote (View Post):
Very demeaning for a sniper let me tell you!

Now let's not get uppity!

Even Simo Häyhä wasn't above resorting to a mere sub machine gun although he only killed 200 with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

... and I'll just exit stage left before anyone cottons on to the contrast between a Sten and a Suomi...

Slon

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 pm Post subject: Scavenging in CC:WaR Reply with quote

In late CCs scavenging depends on intelligence and experience, I think. Look at gunner Deniz! It's Panzershreck from KIA AT team.

100%Scavenger.jpg
 Description:
Smart shooter!
 Filesize:  283.67 KB
 Viewed:  18825 Time(s)

100%Scavenger.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: