Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Cheomesh

Rep: 7.3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm Post subject: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

So far all the available CC games are based on World War 2, except Modern Tactics which seems to be some kind of generic-y third world situation.  WW2 is a logical starting point as it had a large number of large scale operations, is well remembered due to all of the propaganda, books and movies based on it and most important of all is an extremely well documented war.  The last point is vital in making a historical game, as from what I've gathered every little detail was written down somewhere, and as the conflict was very recent most of these documents survive.  It is also very easy to romanticize this war, especially if you live in the US.

But, as I currently live in the US, I and most of the other gamers I know are rather weary of the same WW2 stuff.  There's very little done on anything outside of the European theater, and even less if you're talking about ground combat oriented games.

SO, for 20th/21st century conflicts what would you like to see in some never-to-be-made CC sequel?  It could be anything, from the Banana Wars of the early 20th to obscure operations during the cold war and beyond.  The only qualifier is that it has to be a real conflict - no Cold War gone hot scenarios (as fun as they may or may not be).

For me, I'm tempted to say WW1, as it is a neglected and overlooked war usually summed up as if the entire war was the battles of the Somme and Passchendaele.  If it was WW1, though, I'd focus on the Mesopotamian Theater, where light horse units and ANZAC guys did a lot of the heavy lifting against the Turks.  It lends itself to more mobile "classic" close combat battles.  There's even tanks later on.

However, being more realistic I'd say Viet Nam.  In particular, from the very beginning with the French fighting in their Indo-China colony in '46, though more realistically probably from the period just before US intervention.  That way it'll have more than just US troops - there will be French (or at least French backed - not sure exactly who was stationed there, might have been locals) troops.  Close in jungle action, though it might well be very difficult in CC style as skirmishes could unfold and end faster than you can get your mouse cursor to the unit that suddenly came under fire.  Naturally, the Vietnamese forces could be split between more conventional NVA (with planes, tanks and regular infantry) and the less conventional Viet Cong (irregular fanatics).

What do you guys think?

M.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Hi!

I've got to play CCMT in TLD

if it calms your craving for new games you could see you soon on your computer Wink

Please view........

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=lastup&cat=16696&pos=0

heia Safari!!

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

I liked the CC3 Vietnam mod a lot, but as you say, the dynamic of the battles was very different than WW2, because it's no longer a face to face large scale conflict, it is more about small skirmishes between smaller units. For that reason I think Vietnam was more suited for cc3 than it will ever be for another current CC because its focus is small operations with very customizable force of about a depleted company size. I didn't like much of the changes with the latest patch though, the sounds are horrible.

I think that a complete game made focused on Vietnam would be great, the problem is the dynamics must change if we are to keep the Strategic Map. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that fire bases will be a must have, how they could be implemented I don't know, traps, change the tactical battle rules like adding retreat in-game, civilians, reinforcements, ability to capture and keep enemy weapons and equipment among other needed changes.

Try the CC3 Vietnam mod to get a glimpse of what is possible currently.

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:00 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

I think the earlier actions against the NVA were pretty much large scale actions against two conventional forces, but I could be wrong.  Where can I find this CC3 mod?  I love Cross of Iron (I have the current 3.6 patch but I haven't noticed if there was any sound changes), and would like to see what can be done.

M.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

You can get Vietnam for CoI here:

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CoI/coimods.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

I meant the latest Vietnam mod patch, it fixes some errors and some weapons but the sounds are very bad compared to the latest full release of the mod.

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

It is the "Atmosphereic Modern Mod" with the CC3 icon, right?  And I'm after Version 2?

M.

schrecken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:55 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Yes

Try both 1 and 2

It's called vietnam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:44 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Both call my bluff on not having the CD (borrowed a friends who is now upstate at college) so that'll have to wait until he's back down this summer.  Thanks though!

So back on topic:  What would you like to see as a future official game?

M.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Using CD's is so 2003.

As for what game I would like, an improved CC morale/experience/psych/ system with everything else revamped. Could be any armed conflict from 1930 to 1989.

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Well, it asks for it when I try and launch the mod; the core game itself does not.

M.

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

read the error message crefully.

Does it's path lead to the maps folder?

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

schreckne, if I hit cancel, it says it was unable to open a folder in my install directory called data\base
ames.txt

Also, I'm not sure if I had this issue before but none of the maps from the mappack are showing up in the game - I only have the Russian front ones.  The maps from the Nam map pack are installed in the same folder as CoI's maps.

M.

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Ok

read how to use modswap

C:\Program Files\Close Combat\Close Combat III\Manuals\CCModSwap Utility.pdf

If you have installed the mod correctly you will see the correct maps when you play a scenario that uses those maps.

if you play a scenario that uses stock CoI maps that is what you will see.

Cheomesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

Well, I played that but there doesn't seem to be any of the maps replaced - I still have just the CoI scenarios.

M.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Other Wars? Reply with quote

I would like to see mods made for Cross of Iron.

Japan vs China

Guadalcanal

Afrika US Sub-Mod

Sicily-Italy

China Civil War

Korea Civil War

Also if you want to play Vietnam Mod h2h find me at gameranger. It is a great mod.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: