Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1225
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:49 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Good link Sapa!

I remember reading that site years ago and it is very interesting.....

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:50 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
BG's not be able to move and improved path finding are available/implemented in the CC re-releases....

Really? So by re-release you mean WAR, TLD, Cross of Iron, etc.? So I cannot play Winter War - mod with the immoblized BG's and better pathing?

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Yes, WAR, TLD and LSA (COI does not have a strat layer). Correct CC5 mods unfortunately do not work unchanged on the re-releases....

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:55 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually the cold weather during The Winterwar is a myth  

Down below is the lowest temp meassured by month and this was just during short periods

hahaha, good weather indeed Smile.

but what we have now is the day by day accounts (from both sides) for all the motties the RKKA units have got into - sux to be on both sides Sad.

but no account shows equal size finnish unit could destroy or encircle the RA unit, same as for vice versa (with worse proportion for the RA actually), but the finns were really winning tactically most of the early battles.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Sapa,

interesting link. I guess it wasn't that cold during Winter War, although the cold temperatures can vary, usually in a low area the temperature can be several degrees colder then higher up. Wind chill is also a big factor, can mess you up if you're in a windy spot.

I guess during my military service in the Finnish military I had similar level temperature (~ -35 Celsius) as during the Winter War. Well it was cold, I can telll you that.  Sad

One type of map that I miss from the Winter War mod is a very dense forest with very bad visibility. I know there are some forest maps but they don't really allow for the infantry to attack the Soviet tanks. I always lose many men trying to take out one Ivan tank. There really isn't a "Battle of Raatteentie" - scenario, a battle where the Finns would decimate a Soviet column of tanks and other stuff.

Also, since it always indicates the weather before the days battles, then maybe this should also have an effect for the fighting. Like, during a blizzard the Finns could creep closer to the tanks and get them etc.

Cheers

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

I noticed Salhexe had an effective AT-gun, so did I. This is probably the most effective AT-gun I've had in any campaign, this one has lived through several battles.

AT gun.png
 Description:
Effective AT-gun
 Filesize:  428.09 KB
 Viewed:  9752 Time(s)

AT gun.png

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

One arty piece was able to earn the Grand Cross. Don't see these babies too often. I once got this earlier in this campaign but that guy died earning it so it was posthumous. This guy is still kicking around.

Grand Cross.jpg
 Description:
Grand Cross.
 Filesize:  257.95 KB
 Viewed:  9424 Time(s)

Grand Cross.jpg

salhexe

Rep: 70.1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Very nice, never seen  Smile

putteH

Rep: 8.3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

I found it!

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

That AT-gun actually managed to win another Grand Cross before itself was blown to pieces.

This is the campaign so far, I think I still got couple of days left. Managed to basically stop the Soviets pretty much completely.

Campaign so far.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  272.76 KB
 Viewed:  9164 Time(s)

Campaign so far.jpg

salhexe

Rep: 70.1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:19 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Very good  Smile , my tactic was to stand on the Mannerheim line, instead you fight for every meter of ground.

I hope someone translates this great mod for WAR / TLDs and the strategic moviment of the Ai engine, now very bad.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Well I managed to finally wrap up this GC. Quite a feat, played this longer then the real Winter War lasted, lol. In the last couple of days I lost most of the territory south of the Mannerheim - line but still 'won', or did better then historical counterpart.

Some thoughts (in addition to what I've already written), the cutting off of the enemies supply lines worked great. I could do it with these small infantry units very much like what happened during the real war. Finns used a lot of long range patrols against the rear of the Soviets. The 'collapse' of the front is a constant fear. Finns also used snipers to great effect, I had a couple of pretty good snipers but they tended to die off pretty soon.  

The Soviet mortar teams seemed a bit overpowered, I think one team is eight guys and each has it's own tube they can fire. Finns had a mortar team of six guys with one tube combined. Then again the Soviets did have a material superiority in the real war. Soviet 152 mm arty spotters were pretty destructive, plus the flame tanks especially if I didn't have any AT to counter them.

One thing, althought the Soviets used infantry a lot in the real war, in this mod there really isn't that type of human wave attacks, a lot of Soviet infantry coming at you. Most effective weapons for Finns are the Maxims, they mow down the Soviets.

Also many of the battles especially toward the end were me waiting as the Soviet tanks had been immobilised after me cutting off the supply lines. A little boring but saved my guys that's for sure. I couldn't destroy the immobilized tanks with infantry cause they always cut down my guys before they got within molotov/satchel/flamer range.

It would be great if at some point this mod could be ported to LSA or even newer CC - type game with an even greater emphasis on reality. Even now at best it gives a very good idea of what the war was like.

- MF   Smile

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:03 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

MajorFrank wrote (View Post):
It would be great if at some point this mod could be ported to LSA - MF   Smile

hell yeah

caruso

Rep: 23.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

Also a couple of other things I thought about, I think it would make sense for the objective for the Finnish side to be the destroying and capture of the Soviet troops. Or the stopping of them.

IMO it doesn't make much sense to get a few flags and then the game ends, in reality the real end of battle was signalled by either the Soviet troops being destroyed or they surrendered or the Finns withdrew or were destroyed. Not sure if it's possible to get rid of the flags and just make the objective the destroying of the opponents troops. At least in some maps.

Anyway, cheers and thanks Salhexe.

Hi!! just don't use time limit  Smile

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am Post subject: Re: CC5 Winter War finland S vetmod 3.5 Reply with quote

caruso wrote (View Post):
Also a couple of other things I thought about, I think it would make sense for the objective for the Finnish side to be the destroying and capture of the Soviet troops. Or the stopping of them.

IMO it doesn't make much sense to get a few flags and then the game ends, in reality the real end of battle was signalled by either the Soviet troops being destroyed or they surrendered or the Finns withdrew or were destroyed. Not sure if it's possible to get rid of the flags and just make the objective the destroying of the opponents troops. At least in some maps.

Anyway, cheers and thanks Salhexe.

Hi!! just don't use time limit  Smile

Ah, yes. I know. I just played my campaign as recommended with the time limit. But thanks for the tip anyway.  Smile

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: