Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1266
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
pitbull

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Hi - I'm an old CC fan from years back - esp CC5 - although I must confess I've never been active in a wider CC community - although I did really enjoy the Stalingrad mod for CC5.  I noticed the rerelease of the series by Matrix and thought it would be cool to play some other titles updated to run on the newer OSes without mucking around with arcane OS settings, etc.

I purchased Cross of Iron via digital downland (version 3.6) last week.  It doesn't work on my Win Vista 64 bit OS.  Have finally got through to Matrix after following a trail of email autoresponders, etc and have had to log a ticket etc.  When they did respond, they said I have to install it as an Admin and run it in XP compatibility mode.

That seems extremely odd to me, I would have thought it should install and run like any other game since its supposed to be updated for modern operating systems.  I wasn't expecting updated graphics or sound, etc...but I did expect the source code to at least be recompiled and to be able to install it and run it like a modern game.  Am I being fussy, or have I been taken for a ride?  

Sorry to bitch here...I suppose I'm just after a heads up on Matrix and the new releases of CC...are most people happy with the rereleases?  Should I persist with trying to get it to work, or try and get my money back, and stick with my old original copy of CC5?  I'm happy to financially support ongoing CC development, but I'm wondering whether supporting the modding community directly may be a better idea?   Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may care to share - I'm not trying to ellicit an argument and fully appreciate the problem may simply be with my expectations, etc.

ErwinSp

Rep: 23.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

I got CC4, CC5, CoI, WaR, tLD and LSA.

CC4 and CC5 running in a WinXp PC.

The rest in Win7 64 bits and i hadn't any problem to install and to run them.

I use them in a Laptop with WinVista 32 bits and no problem with installation and make them run. (CoI, WaR, tLD and LSA).

In this Forum you got a lot of info if you got issues to solve them.

Good luck and have fun with CoI.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 am Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Can't comment on Vista but like ErwinSp COI and the other releases have installed and run fine on Windows 7 64bit. You really shouldn't do anything but give admin access to the installer/game to get it to install and run....

pitbull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 am Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts ErwinSp and Tejszd.  I got it to work finally by running it in win 98 mode (XP mode didn't work for me).  Shame Matrix don't bother telling their customers upfront that you need to do that - I'll put that down to simply poor customer service.  Anyway the game works, so I have to thank them for at least making this version of CC available without having to trawl through ebay trying to sniff out a copy of the original.  

Btw, in case anyone else has the same problem, and comes across this post in the future, the link to the solution is:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1722189

I'm quite liking the game already, especially the ability to monitor the progress of individual soldiers - much easier to do in this version than in the CC5 I was used to.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:51 am Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Straight from The CoI Support Q&A ( you would think support would read the support Q&A)

CoI was released pre Vista and Win7

Q. Running under Vista. When I open it and press "play" I get "Close Combat: Cross Of Iron has stopped working and will now close" message. I've read I

believe that I need to run it in Windows ME/2000 but don't know what that means or how to do that

A.Try running in win98 compatibility mode.

Navigate to C:\Program file\Close Combat\Close Combat III

Right click on CC3.exe and choose compatibility mode

Select win98 compatibility

Also select administrator

This should get you up and running next time you launch cross of Iron
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:39 am Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Good to hear you got it working Pitbull. I'm worthless to give tech advice, but if you need an opponent or h2h test look me up on Gameranger.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pitbull

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:26 am Post subject: Re: Question re Matrix Cross of Iron rerelease Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Brake.  I might cut my teeth on the AI first to get back into things, before you completely butcher me!   Laughing

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron

Jump to: