Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1251
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
ll_Alexis_ll

Rep: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 pm Post subject: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

Hello
I just wanted to provide a little feedback on DOF 2 as as I have seen in another thread that a new sequel was under way...

I have completed the entire AI Grand Campaign as German, and I am playing again the GC vs my brother as German (currently we are fighting the stalingrad op, i.e. 7th Operation in the GC, out of 15).

First of all I must say that this Eastern front mod offers both attack and defense battles on a great variety of terrains (cities, open fields, forest, fortifications...) with the ability to upgrade units over a campaign spanning from '41 to '45. That is why CC3/COI are my favourite games in the CC series...
In this mod, it is obvious that a lot of work has been put on unit data and playability, even enhanced by very challenging and rarely seen maps!
Overall, a top class mod for COI!

Here are below a few suggestions:
- 15-day duration for each operation is a bit too long as it gets less challenging for the attacker to win all 5 maps in the time allowed (I think 10 days would be perfect)
- I would love an even greater variety of maps (sometimes two consecutive operations have the same maps, the only difference being who is attacking)
- Specific german 3-men AT units would be extremely useful in the first ops to counter KVs dominance in the first ops. Moreover, german flamers are uneffective vs tanks contrary to russian flamers, which I find uneven, specially vs KVS in the first ops
- Many maps are in favor of the russian defender (i.e. bunkers/ trenches are all oriented the same way)
- Russian sniper is too much effective, especially when russian is hosting as you cant even see the muzzle flash (long-time multiplayer bug since CC3)
- Mark IV G appears early '42, which is not historically accurate, although it enables to counter KVs dominance!
- Panthers and Tigers arrive very late (10th op if I remember well). Same for panzerfausts.
- 120mm mortar is very fun, it prevents AT Guns dominance on the field, but on the other hand it makes half-tracks nearly useless due to extreme vulnerability to 120mm shells. I would advise to extend a bit more the minimum reach of the 120mm mortar?
- LOS issues: quite a few times you can see a tank and fire on it although the opponent does not see you: this may be realistic in some cases but very frustrating overall. What is the reason for that?

Anyway I wanted to thank you AGS for all the intense and bloody battles I have played on this mod so far... I am looking forward to the new version!

Alex

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

ll_Alexis_ll wrote (View Post):
I just wanted to provide a little feedback on DOF 2 as as I have seen in another thread that a new sequel was under way...
Gday Alexis, feedback is always welcome (well mostly)  Wink

Your not Russian are you?  Shocked

In this mod, it is obvious that a lot of work has been put on unit data and playability
Definately between 1-2,000 hours of dedicated work.
Re playability, i probably spent 20-30 hours just tweaking infantry units to keep the RP prices diferent so not too many inf teams had the same RP price.

even enhanced by very challenging and rarely seen maps!
That glory goes to Southern_Land who made more than half the maps used in DOF

Regarding your suggestions:

- 15-day duration for each operation is a bit too long as it gets less challenging for the attacker to win all 5 maps in the time allowed (I think 10 days would be perfect)
My regular opponent and i usually go down to the last day on nearly every OP.
Maybe you are playing no time limit, or 30+min battles
DOF scenarios are designed for 20 minute battles for H2H and only 12min battles for the AI (with 2 minute warning on for both). To pressure the attacker more, make game speed "FAST"

- I would love an even greater variety of maps (sometimes two consecutive operations have the same maps, the only difference being who is attacking)
Yes, many OPs are like that.

3 reasons:

(A) Limited number of suitable maps available

(B) Many of the Battles in Russia were "to & fro", attacks & counterattacks over the same ground
(C) For the poor sucker who has to make the 42 campaign operations Shocked, it saves a LOT of time

Be of good cheer though, DOF3 should have 6 new operations with new maps, but they will be only 3 set of maps, more "to & fro" i'm afraid   Sad  

- Specific german 3-men AT units would be extremely useful in the first ops to counter KVs dominance in the first ops. Moreover, german flamers are uneffective vs tanks contrary to russian flamers, which I find uneven, specially vs KVS in the first ops
The german FTs just have a shorter range than the Russian FTs, but they have just as much destrucive power once in range.
Re the KVs, i usually just pound them with the support guns 15cmIG, or 10.5cmFH, if i can  Confused
Maybe you want a 3man team armed with explosives?

- Many maps are in favor of the russian defender (i.e. bunkers/ trenches are all oriented the same way)
Yes, especially in the early Operations where historically the Russians had many prepared defenses

- Russian sniper is too much effective, especially when russian is hosting as you cant even see the muzzle flash (long-time multiplayer bug since CC3)
hhmm, then let German host and the Russian will hate the snipers  Laughing

- Mark IV G appears early '42, which is not historically accurate, although it enables to counter KVs dominance!
Only a Kommand PzIVg appears in spring42 at lowest availability level.
They dont appear in numbers until summer42, then their numbers double in Fall42.

- Panthers and Tigers arrive very late (10th op if I remember well). Same for panzerfausts.
They appear late in the war, because they did historically.

- 120mm mortar is very fun, it prevents AT Guns dominance on the field, but on the other hand it makes half-tracks nearly useless due to extreme vulnerability to 120mm shells. I would advise to extend a bit more the minimum reach of the 120mm mortar?
Hmmm, min range for the 12cm mortar is already 200 metres in the game, any more and they would be almost unusable on maps that are usually only 500 metres wide.
Maybe just remove them altogether as in RR 5cm & 8cm mortars can kill guns too :)

Halftracks & ACs survive better in DOF2 than any other CC mod or game because of 20-30 hrs of work i did on that problem.
This was mainly achieved by reducing armour penetration of 5cm & 8cm mortars and rifles & LMGs.
To compensate, the accuracy levels of these small arms was increased.
This had the excellent byproduct of increasing the number of kills scored by rifle bearing infantry  Cool

- LOS issues: quite a few times you can see a tank and fire on it although the opponent does not see you: this may be realistic in some cases but very frustrating overall. What is the reason for that?
Not my area of expertise  Confused

Anyway I wanted to thank you AGS for all the intense and bloody battles I have played on this mod so far... I am looking forward to the new version!
Glad you enjoy the mod.
You'll have to be patient re DOF3, it is still a long way off. These days i dont have the time i did when i made DOF & DOF2 because i am now married and employed.

cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:53 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
These days i dont have the time i did when i made DOF & DOF2 because i am now married and employed.

The twin kryptonite of modders...

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

Your not Russian are you?  Shocked

___

the other krytonite, red kryptonite?

ll_Alexis_ll

Rep: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

Dear ArmeeGruppeSud
Many thanks for your detailed answers, which make a lot of sense to me.
I hope I did not sound too picky in my comments: I love DOF 2 and feel very grateful to you, and the whole modding community for making CC series alive and well.

Cheers to you for this great mod (and to Southern land for these challenging maps)

Alexis.

southern_land

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

no worries dude, there will be another batch out soon (but for another version of CC)

ArmeeGruppeSud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:46 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

Many thanks for your detailed answers, which make a lot of sense to me.
No problem mate

I hope I did not sound too picky in my comments:
No, not at all, constructive criticism is always taken well.
Its just when people mix in some mocking attitudes that it becomes irritating (e.g. nikin)

I love DOF 2 and feel very grateful to you, and the whole modding community for making CC series alive and well.
Cheers to you for this great mod
Your welcome, i love DOF too (my little baby) and yes, i appreciate the community which contributed lots to DOF, e.g. all the custom maps, the many editing tools (which made my work possible), many graphics that i borrowed/hijacked/stole from other mods and even the uniform mod from the BR clan just to highlight a few.

(and to Southern land for these challenging maps)
God bless him

hmmm, i think God already blessed S_L,......... with a great mapmaking talent  Very Happy  

southern_land wrote (View Post):
no worries dude, there will be another batch out soon (but for another version of CC)
awwwwwwwwww  Crying or Very sad

Are they convertable to CC3/COI?

oh, SL, did you get a PM from me?

Cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

southern_land

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

Nope nothing mate.  Emptied message box, try again?

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

The maps can be converted to Coi/CC3 using Mafi's tools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ArmeeGruppeSud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:15 am Post subject: Re: Der Ost Front 2 Reply with quote

southern_land wrote (View Post):
Nope nothing mate.  Emptied message box, try again?
.             Ok, i just sent it

schrecken wrote (View Post):
The maps can be converted to Coi/CC3 using Mafi's tools.
.             KOOL  Cool

@ ll_Alexis_ll

Goodish news, the info in the following quote must be amended:
Be of good cheer though, DOF3 should have 6 new operations with new maps, but they will be only 3 set of maps, more "to & fro" i'm afraid .
That statement is not entirely accurate. Regarding those 6 OPs, yes, there will be only 3 sets of maps, but...........

2 Ops will be the Germans fighting through Belarussia in 1941, then, the same two map sets will be used for 2 OPs, being 2 legs of Operation Bagration in 1944, so the "to & fro" will be 3 years apart
Very Happy

Frankly, atm i cannot remember where i had planned the other 2 OPs, maybe it was 3 & 3.
3 more Barbarossa OPs & 3 Bagration OPs)

Part of the DOF3 concept is to have 48 Operations which can all be played by playing 3 seperate 16 operation Campaigns

Also, if somebody (not mentioning names), maybe even a fellow aussie, can help me with the exe changes, my plan is to have, not only a HeeresGruppeSud GC again, but also a HeeresGruppeMitte GC as well  Very Happy

Oh, ll_Alexis_ll  dont just play the Grand Campaign, play some of the other campaigns because there are other new operations and maps that are not in the GC

Hammer & Anvil, Reich on the Rocks, Stemming the tide, Achtung Panzer, Barbarossa, Enemy at the Gates etc etc, there are many months of bloodbaths still to be had.
Have you been in Crimea yet?

CHEERS

AGS

______

RIP

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron

Jump to: