Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1225
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Amfreville

Well, PITF has been released, and it looks like everyone is kicking the AI around in some of the early reviews, and from some of the early suckers, who have already purchased the game.

But while the NOOBS are having fun with PITF, I thought I would show more WW2 battles with maps in the upper size range. It's amazing how a few words get bandied about, and now the AI just can't coordinate an attack in CC.

The AI, we have all discovered, doesn't really coordinate the efforts of individual units on the battlefield. It doesn't seem to deliberately use a combination of arms to destroy stubborn defenders. But that doesn't mean that working independtly doesn't create instances where attacks at least seem coordinated. After all, if more than one AI unit attacks at the same time at any place on the field, this can be contrued as coordination.

The largest CC5 map I have in my collection is 20x20 deployment tiles, and as one might imagine as the size decreases on the maps, the illusion or semblence of AI coordinated effort seems to increase. But still, even with the largest maps availabel (20x20), the AI can still look pretty good, even when it loses.

In the attached pic, two tanks seperate and operate independently, but take 2 undefended victory locations in the process. If you didn't know any better, you would swear they are coordinating their efforts. And in a true sense they are, because the SAI code for CCMT has directed each tank to take these independent actions. Notice it sent only one tank (NOT both tanks) to the victory location in the Southwest area of map.

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Amfreville

Continuing with the battle from the above post, it is important to know that the pics are from the actual battle (while in progress), not the replay. So enemy soliders and sometimes dead enemy soldiers are not always visible.

Here the AI demonstrates that independent action from its units, can create a combined arms assault on enemy units most of the time. AI infantry units are starting to show up South of the plowed field. As they arrive the AI orders them to advance North to the victory location in the middle West part of the map. Notice, the tanks do not advance, but blaze away at my defending units in the houses and hedgerows. The tank closest to the road may have thrown a tread, but the tank in the middle of the plowed field is completely operational.

Several AI infantry units attempt a belly down assualt toward the victory location. Two units begin from the SE corner of the plowed field, and two more from the W road, near the presumably disabled tank. There is no conga line, each infantry unit is probably acting independently, but yet attacks are launched toward a single victory location, with covering fire from two Shermans. This can only be construed as a cooperative effort.

A belly down assault is a good choice as you can see from the pic one AI unit gets quite far moving North up the road, because its movements were unobserved even by my infantry positioned to the left flank of this AI unit as it moved along.

Notice the defending infantry has all taken up belly down positions as well. I did not have to instruct them to do this. The soldiers just know that running around after the shooting has started is the quickest way to get shot.

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Amfreville

So I have attached the Overview Map showing the situation at this time in the battle. As you can see I have only 9 units left, 6 units were elimated during the AI assault.

The lights went out when my Zugfurhrergruppe team was elimated. They were stationed in the 2 story house across the road from the target victory location. This was a good spot for them, since they could see the area where the battle was taking place. Apparently their last message was "Heading for cover".

At this point, the AI has halted the attacks. I wait for ten minutes. I try for a ceasfire, just to confirm that the AI wont accept any terms, and this is confirmed. The AI wants me to attack. Not likely, but my options are as follows:

1. Hit escape, and know that I am defeated. The game is being played with no time limit.

2. Move my Sturmhaubitze down the road toward the AI controlled E victory location. If I capture it, then this might evoke an AI response.

At first thought, it would seem the AI is being very clever, refusing to negotiate when it has the upper hand. But me thinks the AI has simply forgotten that it fought a battle in the plowed field. The AI does know that it currently holds more victory locations and it may (I am not really sure), know that it has much better force morale at the moment. But me thinks apart from that, the AI will only react to what it perceives in present time.

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

Smile  !

Good post !  stwa !!

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 am Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

Thanks !

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:36 am Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Amfreville

Well, if you remember my two options from the last post. I decided on option 2, and I moved my Sturmhaubitze down the road to the AI controlled victory location. I also moved the two Aufklarer units adjacent to the road toward the same VL.

The Sturmhaubitze spotted the Sherman in the plowed field and stopped (not what I wanted), and tried to shoot it. No workie, so after it exploded, I continued with the Aufklarer units. As it turns out the VL was guared by 3 infantry teams. A protracted fire fight raged on, and my units were eventually wasted. In CCMT, once engaged, it is very hard to disengage, especially at close quarters, since movement is usually cancelled, when a unit receives any kind of sustained fire. I tried sneaking away and running away, but to no avail. This is one of the more realistic facets of CCMT, and it works the same way when you are trying to advance on the enemy. Its one of those things that tends to slow the movement down on the map and strike some parity for the AI, since it is harder for the HP to rush its positions. It would also do the same with any freaky Vet(Zombie) mod too.

So after these events, the AI still refuses a truce, so I hit escape and resign. Because there was no time limit, the AI doesn't feel compelled to attack, especially if it controls more victory locations. After all the AI lost 4 infantry teams and probably 2 immobilzied tanks in the battle for the plowed field. So in my case as the HP, I am forced into an Attack or Withdraw situation. I chose to attack, but I really didn't have enough force, and my attack failed, so I resigned.

The pic shows what is left of my force at the end of the game.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Pegasus Bridge

This report will contain plenty of heavy duty belly down action so I am hoping all NOOBS will stick with it and check it out.

But first, reports for CC's newest game, Panthers in the Fog, are starting to trickle in from our forward observers in the field. First indications are MP direct connect is toast. What a drag. It seems the uppers decided that most users were too stoopid to make a direct connection, so the feature got canned. Also, and this is a strange one, but it seems that the tanks are too beeg for the roads, or at least tree lined roads. We will have to get confirmation from Matrix on this one, when they get back next week.

Now, back to CC5 Pegasus Bridge.  Arrow

I am always amazed to hear the endless negative attributes that are handed out the the AI in such general and casual terms. The Belly Down Assault or Crawl of Death stereotype is always cited near the top of list when users want to bash the AI.

Its funny, but Human Players are sneaky, and in most gaming situations with the AI, the HP will always yield the initiative to the AI, so the HP can sit back and effortlessly waste the AI as it grapples with an almost impossible tactical situation. One thing is certain, the AI is brave.

CC5 Pegasus Bridge is one of those impossible tactical situations, and I, as the HP in this game, do likewise, and I seize more victory locations quickly in the first few minutes of the game, and force the AI soldiers to traverse the bridge on their bellies to assualt my well covered position.

This mode of Single Player gaming is known as HP Defender - AI Hopeless Attacker. When an HP is really lazy, which is most of the time, they like to sit back and watch the AI impale itself on a well fortified or impossible position.

The AI soldiers attempt to cross the bridge on their bellies, and are slaughtered in the process. Now most NOOBS will say, "Well ya, its the crawl of death". Hint  Arrow the real reason is explained in the previous report for CC5 Amfreville.

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Pegasus Bridge

As mentioned in the previous post, this report will contain some great belly down action. As predicted the AI is slaughtered as it attempts to cross the bridge ala belly down as it begins the assault.

But because Pegasus Bridge is such a ridiculous tactical nightmare, the normal precepts for this Single Player game mode gets tossed out the window. That mode is HP Defender - AI Hopeless Attacker, which is normally a lot of fun for most gamers, and for some its their preferred mode.

And shall I say, this AI assualt was definately coordinated, complete with mortar fire, and units that were not part of the assault lending supporting fire.

But in all battles, if an attack fails, the initiative is transfered to the other side. In most circumstances, this is no biggie since the assaulting force has encountered great loss and can be easily mopped up for the win.

But here, at this battle at Pegasus Bridge, the initiative is surrenderd to moi (the HP). But to perform the final mop up operation, I must cross the same bridge over to the other side to finish off what remains of the AI forces. Not good.  Laughing

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC5 Pegasus Bridge

What makes this situation precarious is the fact that the AI still has sufficent force to repulse my assault accross the bridge. To be sure, it only needs a few rifle teams and/or a machine gun.

Once again, because the game is not played with a time limit, the AI will not agree to a cease fire. It still has enough force morale, and in this case, it could care less that I have taken 4 of 5 victory locations.

As with the battle at Amfreville, I am forced into an Attack or Withdraw situation. The only way to end the game is to finish off the AI or hit escape. Of course, I choose to attack, not wanting the AI to seem the surperior player.

I vary my assault, and I cross the bridge running. Of course this does not work. Sure a few guys got across, only to find the MG42 team in the bocage. The sniper in the 2 story buiding was a nice touch as well.

And here is the kicker. Just like at Amfreville. Once my units were engaged in the assault, and even while upon the bridge itself, it was impossible to retreive them and call off the attack. What was left of the AI forces was apparently enough to bring sustained fire onto each attacking unit. I rubber banded everyone and got them crawling ON THEIR BELLIES, just like we all acuse the AI of doing. It worked for a few minutes, but in the end everyone was slaughtered.

And I will bet you are wondering about smoke. Don't worry, Stwa takes care of all the details. We couldn't throw the cannister across the river so we lobbed it onto our side of the bridge. We emerged from it as we ran onto the bridge, to the amusement of the defenders.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

Some good posts here Stwa!

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 am Post subject: Re: The AI Belly Down Assault Reply with quote

CC4W Winterspelt

It has been a long time, since I have a seen a totally hopeless belly down assault from the AI. But that exactly happened in my most recent battle at Winterspelt.

The AI kept pumping more guys into the conga line, even thought they had "captured" the VL.

Too many times, I simpy enjoy observing the combat. I get the soldiers set up, then kick back and take my hands off the keyboard. It's lazy and always produces the game mode of HP Defender - AI Hopeless Attacker, which is just way too much fun.  Exclamation

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Modern Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: