Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Yeh, what I remember was that Diff was small, though only draw winter maps...so

I looked at 5CC grapix info, it say:
"Remember that all the CC graphics are stored in 16-bit! In the past the TARGA
graphics format was used as the "de facto" standard for storing graphics to be imported by tools to
manipulate CC files. 5CC will follow this rule. It can import external graphics in 16-bit
uncompressed TARGA. --- when importing external graphic files, 5CC will automatically convert the graphics to 16-bit
(that is the reason why the import of graphics takes so much time, calculating each pixel)."

Hm, can iimagen that tanks, trees etc would look grater at higher bits? Have you tried that Manoi?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

I think the Scenario Editor will be very important, I hope it is as good or better than the one in CC3 or CC2.

Serk

Rep: 4.4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

I've been playing some combat mission online lately and man I hope we could see some kind a marriage between CM and CC. Combat missions's tactical system revolving around platoons and their control and command system with CC's operational layer and historical campaign. Shocked

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Some of the new features sound good.

Personally argued for interdiction a lot in the past....

Bit surprised at the 35 regions to fight over. Sounds like only 35 maps to me then, though maybe they are CCMT sized ones because of the higher maximum number of units.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

The Trees look "Awesome"
Nice to see they removed the Red/Green shading on the Strategic Map

But those Vehicles look like crap.
The colors remind me of the plastic Army Men I used to buy as a kid.

Is it still really only 1v1 online?.....Jeesh that would suck.

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Now that the graphics are all at the same scale (I guess 9 or 10 pixels per meter), is the engine always using the old scale of 5 pixels per meter to calculate the distances???

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Hm, I would not really mind “just” 35 maps.
I felt like 44 maps were rather cool on a strategy layer.
Though I fined that the strategy layer design is very important, and probably more important than the number of maps.  

I don’t know if the 64 maps added much? You guys who played WaR and compared it to CC4, does the 22 extra maps add anything that can be translated into game quality improvements or enhancement of the game experience?

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

32 bit graphics look good, but as you can tell, the "current" trend for maps are photo realistic.

Unforunately, this approach begs for photo realistic vechicles, other wise the overall impression feels "funny".

Again, unfornately, even with photo realistic maps, AND photo realistic vehicles and soldiers, the system won't be able to "blend" their movements in an acceptable way. In other words, it will look "funny".

The best approach, is to use maps, soldiers, and vehicles, that are strictly graphic in design and construction. Although labor intensive, this approach renders the game, in an artistic sense that is pleasing, and NOT "funny".

21 teams is too many. (especially if only single player is used). Rubber banding, notwithstanding.

1K maps are too large and tediouis. (especially if only single player is used). Unless infantry combat is abandoned altogether. (i.e. Panters in the Fog sounds just right). In the Fog.

Dedicated multiplayer arenas for this game, will not attract a large following.

The only value large maps can bring to the table, is if the various scales (vehicles, soldiers, ground), are in fact made equal, so that 4800 pixels, is something less than 1 KM of ground.

Large maps might be useful for the campaign game. Perhaps they should just have one monster map, with a shit load of Victory Locations on it.

35 maps are too many, unless they have figured out a way to make them quickly. The labor required for map making overwhelms the costs for other required aspects of the game.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:56 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Can't say if the extra 22 maps has helped because the AI is just to horrible to play against.
I do feel that the extra maps has improved the overall effect of the Strategic Map if it's designed properly.
Unfortunately I think the amount of connections on the strat map is set at 128 (I think) not enough if you ask me.

The really larger maps with what did they say (6 turns of Battles per day?) is going to be difficult.
Of course how many people really explore larger maps and how many just go for the VL's needed?

I know I just go for whats needed unless a particular map has LOS that's of great value.

Hemul

Rep: 10.7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Classic real-time infantry combat wargame Close Combat is on the march towards a tablet release. It’s the second day of Slitherine/Matrix Group‘s press event: yesterday they announced that they had acquired all of the intellectual property associated with Close Combat, and today they’ve laid out their future plans for the franchise.

Close Combat: Panthers In The Fog (quite a saucy name, that) is set in the Ardennes in 1944 and will be out in Q4 of 2012 – but that will be Matrix’s last game based on the 15-year-old engine they’ve acquired. Work has already begun on its successor, a new game from the ground up based on the Unity engine. Unity gives the devs quite a lot of flexibility and they intend to make Close Combat for Android tablets and iPad – “probably not next year” but “possibly” in 2014.

Slitherine/Matrix technical director Iain McNeil was cagey when asked about the setting of the new Unity-based Close Combat but he made it clear it would be a World War II game. No Close Combat game yet has taken place in Africa or the Pacific – it would be interesting if that’s where they went. God knows any veteran CC player has seen his fill of top-down views of French hedgerows at this point.

That is quite a while away but the Close Combat series is one of the best-regarded wargames ever and probably my personal favorite. I await it’s release with equal parts excitement and fear for my social life/personal hygiene.

http://pockettactics.com/2012/04/24/close-combat-for-ipad-android-tablets-possible-in-2014/#vanilla-comments

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Now this makes no sense.

If Panthers in the Fog is an Ardennes Campaign then why am I not seeing that at the Matrix site?

Panthers in the Fog

Game Info:
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest release in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series.  It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy.  Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314?  Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history?

Play single battles, linked operations, or even the Grand campaign simulating all six crucial days of fighting.  With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess.  New features of long-range interdiction, strategic high ground and adverse weather conditions bring an insight into the challenges faced by those who commanded both sides in this pivotal WW2 battle.

For the Allies the Normandy landings of June were followed by two months of hard fighting in difficult terrain against a tenacious German defense.  But in late July the US Army’s Operation Cobra has finally created a decisive breach in the weakened German line.  Patton’s 3rd Army races through the opening along the western coast of France and into the clear, driving for the Brittany Ports.  Faced with the choice between retreat and last-ditch counter-attack, the Germans struggle to assemble a panzer force for one more charge.  Can the Germans move quickly enough to overcome a desperate situation, push through to Avranches on the French coast, and cut off Patton’s racing spearheads?  Or will the thinly stretched Americans troops screening Patton’s flank be able to hold out, regroup, and hold the vital lifeline open.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

could have chosen another theater of operations Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

khkybj_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  12196 Time(s)

khkybj_1.jpg

heia Safari!!

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Not really inmho

I just don't see how a Pacific Theater would be any fun.

There's just not enough tactics in burning the Japs out of Cave to keep the game interesting.
Assuming your vying for that Campaign?

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:01 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

This will be Battle of the Bulge 2 summer campaign (Mortain is Bastogne) with yellow German Tanks (but the trees and maps looks good!

more units = more clicks on girls running in the wrong direction

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

•Over 50 historically accurate key units and 47 weapon types rendered in exact detail
•Campaign map with 35 unique regions to fight over.
•Command up to 21 squads at a time, and each squad can contain up to 10 men.
•Improved 32 bit graphics allowing smoother, more realistic maps, more varied trees and improved effects
•Refined front end and UI design making the game easier to play and updating the UI to more modern standards.
•Improved force selection more accurately reflects WW2 formations meaning formations cannot be re-customised every battle. Losses and fatigue must be managed and platoons are historically balanced
•Enhanced multiplayer experience using Slitherines integrated lobby, match making systems and routing server, which mean its never been easier to find an opponent and just play!
•Improved High Level Gameplay brings the strategies of the battle to life with
•oAnimated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
•oHolding high ground allows players to observe distant enemy troop movements.
•oChoose whether to allocate your air and artillery as close support for your own troops, or to interdict distant enemy formations.
•Fog hides enemy formation

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:55 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Sapa wrote (View Post):
more units = more clicks on girls running in the wrong direction

Laughing

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Stalky as a Paparazzi photographer…

After Stalky has stalked Mrs PIF for 6 month and sneaking in the bushes he have successfully managed to take a picture of the famous PIF… Totaly naked, just in her tiny strategy map.... Blurry and all that goes with this type of images..

Cool

Yeh I know.. Rolling Eyes

panthers in the fog papara.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.67 KB
 Viewed:  12171 Time(s)

panthers in the fog papara.jpg

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

anyone remember that post from a CC player that .......

made a new engineering
vehicles to turn in circles
dimension there was no limit on the maps
no limits on groups of soldiers about 500 or 1000 soldiers fighting the same battle

This man had a blog....can anyone help me find the post that was in...THE MESS...

perhaps sold his engineering to....................

Laughing  Laughing

heia Safari!!

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 pm Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Hm, I would not really mind “just” 35 maps.
I felt like 44 maps were rather cool on a strategy layer.
Though I fined that the strategy layer design is very important, and probably more important than the number of maps.  

I don’t know if the 64 maps added much? You guys who played WaR and compared it to CC4, does the 22 extra maps add anything that can be translated into game quality improvements or enhancement of the game experience?

Nice comments stalk. You couldnt be more correct. Strategic map design is way more important than the number of maps. Reflects what I like to say.... new units/mods are great, but they are nothing without good data backing them up.

I think 64 maps added an extra feature line to the game description, thats about it. The stratmap in WaR was so insane and confusing.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

GaryChildress

Rep: 20.3
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:57 am Post subject: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Reply with quote

Dang, I saw the "Panthers in the fog" part and my first thought was Kursk! Crap!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: