Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1237
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Good timing Schmal_Turm! I am glad you are playing the mod. The AT guns need a kick in the butt once in awhile. I have found switching from Defend to Fire brings them in line. Basically treat them like a tank that have similar issues.

vobbnobb has it right on the short barrled Panzer III Ausf. N. Good eye!

I did consider starting the GC with both sides as Majors in rank and it can easily be made that way. However, I decided to go with tradition. Commanders who win are rewarded with rank.

Here is a German Major flanked by Kingtigers on the map gerdef. Op 16 Berlin Germany.

SE Kingtigers Command Panther.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  487.48 KB
 Viewed:  553 Time(s)

SE Kingtigers Command Panther.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

After checking both COI and my book Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII I see my error. Since the PZIII G & H profiles in the game had what appeared to be the long 50 I assumed that was the case. According to the book the long 50 didn't come out until the J model.

I was also surprised that the shorter 50s were having a fairly good effect on the T-34, so again I assumed they had to be the long 50. Looking at the details in the game the PZIII G & H were indeed the L42 version.

The PZIII N was with the short 75 and wasn't available until later and I am still in the initial stages without even a Pak 40. Thank goodness for the 88s.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:00 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Here are my tanks so far 75% through the campaign. thought I would show before I loose a lot of them in fucked up muddy rasputitsa, knowing now the enemy has panzerfausts and panthers everywhere.

tks.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  419.67 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)

tks.png

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

I just had a thought.. Brake are you sure the mod was built on the 3.61 newest version of cross of iron and not the 3.60 or earlier?

Matrix released 3.61 last year. I don't have the readmes on hand. I don't seem to remember seeing the spinning tanks and AT guns with the latest matrix patch without the mod installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFgZaUTw3M some comedy about the turning Very Happy

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:06 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

3.61 the current patch. The previous patch you couldn't use AT Guns at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:54 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

My JS2 After a devastating direct hit from a round fired by a King Tiger II (whom I have been trying to chase down for a couple of campaign missions now) on high ground. So what happened? Is engine still intact and main barrel? but everything is gone? My guess is superstructure has been obliterated..

luckily It didn't autosave

kt2hit.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.18 KB
 Viewed:  626 Time(s)

kt2hit.png

US_Brake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Perhaps the JS2 angle on the ridge provided the KT II with a belly shot?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
My JS2 After a devastating direct hit from a round fired by a King Tiger II (whom I have been trying to chase down for a couple of campaign missions now) on high ground. So what happened? Is engine still intact and main barrel? but everything is gone? My guess is superstructure has been obliterated..

luckily It didn't autosave

It says it is destroyed because all the crew is either dead or incapacitated even though it is mobile and with functioning gun. Would be cool if the tank was salvaged and you only got to pay for another crew.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Finished. I played for stats. That meant a lot of restarting a lot of missions if I took too many casualties. How did I do

medalfinal.png
 Description:
Couple of my tanks
 Filesize:  432.81 KB
 Viewed:  488 Time(s)

medalfinal.png

campfinished.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  379.72 KB
 Viewed:  489 Time(s)

campfinished.png

US_Brake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Nice work vobbnobb. I think it's safe to say, You won the Russian-German War! Smile

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:49 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

If you are playing the Soviets...

For me the hardest part was the area of Königsberg, The port and Berlin outskirts. It seems to be where all the command tanks fled to during the campaign or maybe that they are just there and have the HQ in the area?

Once you arrive in Königsberg you need at least 1 JS II tank hold the starting line somewhat but don't advance.
You will be up against many command tanks, command vehicles, mortars with unterofficers, armored cars and rocket trucks, troops with
ample amount of AT weapons and magnetic mines.

The trick is to get some of these heavier guys out in the open for the JSII to take care of manly the Panther D,G PanzerIV2,H,J stUgs, TDs and the only way to do that is to flee back to
Königsberg airfield where you had already battled them. Keep them in the North West corner if you can. Hold the ground there again popping over hills to take shots and rolling back to reload.
Once you have won the airfield map again go back to the city to face a little less resistance albeit keep in mind they are still fierce.

Berlin was pretty easy with the outskirts being the hardest as some TDs that are camped out on top of the hill and water flooding the area will force mobility problems on your tanks.. Stay out of the stuff.

My thought on the reason there are so many command vehicles in Königsberg was simply that they have fled off the maps you had won and you were not able to catch them.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:09 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Is there a way to view the whole artwork (cracked wall) pictures on the roster screen etc? They are all different and there are many that are covered with text which is a shame.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:35 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

I'll ask DAK_Legion he has the TGA for that. Here is the stock COI Roster Art. Scorched Earth has the MP40 Pic.

Img0004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  268.46 KB
 Viewed:  451 Time(s)

Img0004.jpg

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

There is one. I believe these were created on cc3 by microsoft or atomic, why would they let the art go to waste written over with text boxes?

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:19 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Are you playing as Germans next time around vobbnobb?

The Western Front v10 Roster Page.  Cool

Img0004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.94 KB
 Viewed:  563 Time(s)

Img0004.jpg

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:54 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

will try to give it a go

Schmal_Turm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

It appears, Brake, that I was totally amiss in getting rid of my 88s when I was fighting for Moscow as now I can't seem to get any back. In spite of that I have decided to press on without them and see how things turn out.

Otherwise, I am thoroughly enjoying Scorched Earth, except for having to wait for better guns on my tanks.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 am Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Thanks vobbnobb, Pzt_Kanov, Schmal_Turm, Tripwire.

Scorched Earth Mod is compatible with several campaigns.

Cross of Iron Campaign: The War in the East by Eric Young

Cross of Iron Campaign: Barbarossa! by Diegrinder

Cross of Iron Campaign: The Road to Moscow by GDS_Starfury

Cross of Iron Campaign: Stalingrad! by US_Brake

Schmal_Turm

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Brake, I am kinda regretting changing the difficulty level up a notch as now I can barely get enough points to replace the items that are destroyed. Obviously this makes it more challenging but it pretty much takes all the fun out of it as it is everything I can do to keep my forces going. It does make for some interesting retreats when I am short of AT guns.

Are you saying, Brake, that those other mods can be applied with the Scorched Earth, both at the same time? or how do you apply those then.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: Scorched Earth Reply with quote

Hi Schmal_Turm, glad to see you playing SE.

I would recommend a 15 minute time limit per day/turn. Game ends when time runs out.

This provides a challenge to take all VL's in a short time when you are strong, and prevents the AI from running over your troops at times of weakness. In SE you may find yourself short of supply for up to 4 days/turns at a time. They key is to hunker down when your weak at the VL of your choice and try to delay the enemy. You can even use recon units to take VLs in a last minute sneak attack when all normal defenses fail. Each side has equal points in the campaign so both suffer through occasional supply and or low ammo.

DAK_Legion and I made Scorched Earth with two plugins so you have more options.

1. Option one is installing Scorched Earth Mod, it will have the SE GC built in but you can also play the two GC's that come with the original COI. Also while SE Mod is installed you can double-up and install an additional campaign like Diegrinders Barbarossa in modswap. That allows you to play Barbarossa with SE Mod.

2. Option two is uninstalling the SE MOD and then installing the SE Grand Campaign in modswap. You can then play the SE GC with the stock COI game. Most other East Front Mods will work well with the Scorched Earth Grand Campaign in modswap. For example install the SE GC file then Real Red Mod.

We made Stalingrad! the same way, with two plug-ins for versatility.

In this way any future East Front Mods should also be compatible with SE and Stalingrad!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: