Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1240
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fixing it Helmut. I can't believe I missed that error because I even double-checked it. The complete set of individual map downloads is now available at RD as Helmut mentioned.

Thanks for the mention of consolodating the posts Helmut. Every little bit helps.

ACJL__Karain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:40 am Post subject: Tweaks Reply with quote

I must admit I am a complete virgin when it comes to modding a game. But I have quite a good knowledge of the North African campaign from start to finish, so if anybody does want to create a submod as Oddball says, please give me a call if you need some historical data or anything like that.

Again thanks for those years of effort Oddball. (So much better than the El Alamein mod.)

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Rep: 10.9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:32 pm Post subject: Thanks and good job Reply with quote

Great job!! I downloaded and played it a little last night. I look forward to diving into it more deeply. Thanks for all the hard work.

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Searry I forgot to reply to your last comment. Uh the only thing I can think of is to load the GC in the scenario editor and change the dates by removing the first weeks until you get late enough in the GC for your liking.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion but I'm not aware of one.

GS_Sturm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thx for the Mod! Great Work! :ok2 :prostration

German Soldiers
"Krieg ist die Hölle, aber der Sound ist geil!"

sample

Rep: 59.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:33 am Post subject: Re: Recommendations for improvement. Reply with quote

ACJL__Karain wrote:
There is a AT gun in the British BG's called the 37mm. As far as I am aware the only time that the British had 37mm guns was on the Stuart and Grant tanks from the US. The picture for the gun in the BG is what looks like a 3.7inch AA gun but im not sure. The gun itself has the firepower of a US or German 37mm.

acording to this site (and i've seen some archive footage with the gun)
http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/equipment.htm
the british have some 37mm Bofors (M1936) Anti-tank Gun pressed into service

anyway, congrats to the mod makers !!!

www.mihaisurdea.com

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your are right Smile sample.
Owing to the shortage of equipment after Dunkirk and the battle of France, the Bofors 37mm AT guns were taken over from the Sudanese army (never knew they had one!) during 1940 and used in the desert until 1941 to suppliment the 2pdrs.
These would have been used by the AT Regts. RA attached to the divisions,
certainly present in 3RHA which had 4 batteries, although I'm unsure what the mix of 37mm and 2pdrs was, and possibly other Regts. too.
They were phased out in 1941 due to wear and also as UK and Dominion divisions in Egypt had priority for new equipment.

Congratulations a very nice mod Smile

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

Flamethrower

Rep: 11.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 pm Post subject: Congratulations RD Oddball Reply with quote

Great Mod RD Oddball!!! Kudos & congrats Laughing

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FT Very Happy

@Ronson - I have also found what you're saying to be true. Both the bofors and 37mm AT gun were in use in Afrika.

I HAD a big long post about the topic written up to describe the research I found to support what we're saying but the post aborted after I hit "submit" and I lost it. I was too pissed to reproduce it. I guess that's why the "copy to clipboard" button was made available eh? Must happen often. Mad

So you'll have to take this one on faith guys. Rolling Eyes

QM

Rep: 49.4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

On ya mate. Laughing

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jim...

great mod! Great looking custom interface screens (desert flavored), great maps, the soldiers uniforms presentation and tanks looks awesome! I've only tried the single battles...but the gameplay is smooth and fun.

One minor thing...why didn't you (and the mod team) give the Indian Teams/BGs a separate Nationality code? In Afrika40-41 Indian Units are coded with the same Nationality code as British units...so they show up in the game with British names...kinda strange.
I've been working a lot with Indian Units and data these past few months (BoS1945)...and I'm used to seeing Indian Teams with Indian names in the game. I believe that the Indian Teams/BGs in CC5: El Alamein were coded as Indian Nationality and the teams show up in the game with Indian names.

The vehicles/tanks looks great...I hope the Afrika40-41 team don't mind if we use some of them (with some custom editing) for BoS1945. I'll PM you about this, Jim.

Thanks again for all the hard work on Afrika40-41...4 years is a long time!

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all ... This mod look like GJS is. a complete and strong mod... Congrat to the team ...

Between iv got a question... Maybe u already replyed to it but well...

Yesterday i tryed to make my own GC or Op and cant save it ... error message ... is it normal?

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Thanks a million for this mod. The strat map looks awesome. It looks like this is geared for H2H play but seems to be okay for single player also?

I've started the GC as the Italians (single player) thinking the Allies would have the advantage. So far the Italians are dominating, but don't have enough AT guns to last long further into the campaign...so it would even out later into GC.

The best way to play the full timeframe of the mod is by playing the 4 seperate operations?

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
Hey, Jim...

great mod! Great looking custom interface screens (desert flavored), great maps, the soldiers uniforms presentation and tanks looks awesome! I've only tried the single battles...but the gameplay is smooth and fun.

One minor thing...why didn't you (and the mod team) give the Indian Teams/BGs a separate Nationality code? In Afrika40-41 Indian Units are coded with the same Nationality code as British units...so they show up in the game with British names...kinda strange.
I've been working a lot with Indian Units and data these past few months (BoS1945)...and I'm used to seeing Indian Teams with Indian names in the game. I believe that the Indian Teams/BGs in CC5: El Alamein were coded as Indian Nationality and the teams show up in the game with Indian names.

The vehicles/tanks looks great...I hope the Afrika40-41 team don't mind if we use some of them (with some custom editing) for BoS1945. I'll PM you about this, Jim.

Thanks again for all the hard work on Afrika40-41...4 years is a long time!

Thanks for the kudos Squadleader. Please see my responses to the nationalities at the RD site. Thanks again for your input on this.

http://www.reddevilscc.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=65

As far as using the vehicles on your mod feel free to do so. I would assume Neil Nello (guy who made most of the vehicle graphics) won't mind either. However it would be good to get his permission as well. THANKS FOR ASKING FIRST! The way it should be done! Very Happy Thank you!

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ZAPPI4 wrote:
Hi all ... This mod look like GJS is. a complete and strong mod... Congrat to the team ...

Between iv got a question... Maybe u already replyed to it but well...

Yesterday i tryed to make my own GC or Op and cant save it ... error message ... is it normal?

Thanks for the compliment Zappi!

Re: saving GC's or OP's - I've found that when I receive errors in the scenario editor it is usually because of a small mistake on my part. I'm not 100% sure but that is usually the case. I have found that the scenario editor doesn't really like revision of existing GC's or OP's. I also get a saving error if I'm trying to do that. More often than not I must re-create the GC or Op from scratch. It's a major pain in the ass but it works. If all else fails you might try that.

Another experiment to see if your installation is working - you might try creating a faux op or gc to see if you can save any homemade op or GC. If not then that would indicate a problem elsewhere in your CC installation.

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

dj wrote:
Jim

Thanks a million for this mod. The strat map looks awesome. It looks like this is geared for H2H play but seems to be okay for single player also?

I've started the GC as the Italians (single player) thinking the Allies would have the advantage. So far the Italians are dominating, but don't have enough AT guns to last long further into the campaign...so it would even out later into GC.

The best way to play the full timeframe of the mod is by playing the 4 seperate operations?

Thanks for the compliment DJ!

I would say that playing the 4 operations is the quickest way to see all four phases of this time period and experience a fairly dramatic shift in the balance of power. In my research I found those four phases to be the distinct elements over that year time period. Chapters if you will. I think the Ops give a pretty good picture of the progression of that short history. There are some minor discrepancies between the mod and r/l history but most are a result of CC's limitations. It's as close as I could get.

The British army structure in the desert becomes really apparent in January of '41. That's when IMO the lessons learned are starting to be put into practice. Mechanized battlegroups to capitalize on speed with the structure being basically mini-armies rather than distinct divisions specializing in only one thing. Attaching various groups to other groups creating self-sufficient battlegroups was very common and an necessity due to the distances desert warfare took place over. General O'Conner pioneered this approach during Operation Compass. Only through percerverance on his part to challenge the classed based British military leadership system and the long standing standard WWI approach to tank warefare did he finally succeed in making is point and get his way. He sacrificed a great deal of opportunity for promotion to stand up for what he believed was the proper approach. It wound up saving thousands of lives by bringing a quick end to Italy's control. Of course when Rommel enters Africa things change dramatically once again. Then Monty enters and builds on O'Conners approach and fashions his own unique approach.

So what is the long winded point I'm trying to make you ask? LOL That the battlegroups in later ops are structured more in the O'Conner-esque fashion. Again the CC battlegroup system doesn't allow for nuances that existed in history so take what you see with a grain of salt.

Wittmann44

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi squadleader_id,

what is BoS1945?

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Wittmann44 wrote:
Hi squadleader_id,

what is BoS1945?

Wittmann44...you can read some info about BoS1945 here:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=179&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I will post some updates on the progress of the mod later this month (or early next month).

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am Post subject: Bofors 37mm ATG Reply with quote

Managed to find this shot of the aformentioned 37mm Bofors ATG, hope it is of use to you, and gives some idea of the size of this weapon.

Couldn't find any pics of it in action

BTW This is not to be confused with the 40mm Bofors, which was an AA gun and in use with the Light AA regts. around the same time.

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

ATscout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and congratulations for this impresive mod! Absolutelly great work, guys!

I only have one concern. The screenshot gallery show there's no mercy for the poor italians, who often bites the dust in the first 5 minutes of the battle. :Cool The british are well equiped, have plenty of air/artilery/naval support, and generally defend easy-to-defend areas. So, if you know how to use your firepower and to distribute your men according to the terrain, playing as british seems too easy.

What do you think? (This is not a critic Smile )

Anyway, great work, the best African mod by now, I can't wait to download it. Razz

You were given the choice between war and dishonour . . . you chose dishonour and you will have war." Winston Churchill

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Afrika 40'41
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: